The Long Awaited Wedding

Pastor Don Carpenter / General

Uncomfortable: The Awkward and Essential Challenge of Christian Community / Marriage of the Lamb; Bride of Christ; Victory / Revelation 19:4–9

A young boy was waiting after church for his family. The pastor saw him standing around and struck up a conversation. Since the boy had just come from Sunday school, the pastor decided to ask him some questions to determine just how much the children were learning there. He said, “Young man, if you can tell me something that God can do, I’ll give you a big shiny apple.” Thoughtfully the boy replied, “Sir, if you can tell me something God can’t do, I’ll give you a whole box of apples.”

Michael P. Green, 1500 Illustrations for Biblical Preaching (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 2000), 170.

As we conclude our series entitled Uncomfortable: The Awkward and Essential Challenge of the Christian Community, we must cast our eyes on the end game.  We serve an Almighty God!  We serve a victorious God!  We serve on the winning side!  Yes we fight the world, the flesh , and the devil every day, but one day the trumpet will sound, our Savior will split the Eastern sky, we who are saved will be changed, and Jesus our Savior will ultimately claim the throne that is rightfully His.  The ground lost at the garden of Eden will be reclaimed, the Devil will be banished and we will reign with our Savior.

Jesus tells that His relationship with the universal church, which will have her charter meeting in the clouds at the rapture, is like the relationship between the groom and the Bride.  After the rapture as as the Kingdom is established, there will be a wedding… the long awaited union between the Church and her Husband, Jesus Christ.  As we fight through the sadness and setbacks in this world,  let us keep our minds on that blessed day when we will be a part of the long awaited Wedding between Jesus and the Church.

We Will See That the Lord Omnipotent Reigns!

Revelation 19:4 KJV

And the four and twenty elders and the four beasts fell down and worshipped God that sat on the throne, saying, Amen; Alleluia.

Revelation 19:5 KJV

And a voice came out of the throne, saying, Praise our God, all ye his servants, and ye that fear him, both small and great.

Revelation 19:6 KJV

And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.

•    This is after the greatest persecution believers have ever endured.

•    This is after the Beast made most of mankind doubt God’s goodness and strength.

•    This is after Babylon the Great fell.

•    This is as the Beast and the Devil were about to fall.

•    This is just before the Kingdom is ushered in.

???????????, ???? m (a title for God, literally ‘all powerful’)—‘the Almighty, the One who has all power.’ 1

The Lord God Omnipotent Reigns!

????????b: … to be in control in an absolute manner—‘to reign, to control completely.  – Louw/ Nida

Johannes P. Louw and Eugene Albert Nida, Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament: Based on Semantic Domains (New York: United Bible Societies, 1996), 473.

Revelation 11:15 KJV

And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever.

We Will See that the Bride Made Herself Ready!

Revelation 19:7 KJV

Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.

Philippians 1:6 KJV

Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Whatever the Bride becomes, Jesus made her that way!

Ephesians 5:25 KJV

Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

Ephesians 5:26 KJV

That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

Ephesians 5:27 KJV

That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

Joni Eareckson Tada, who since a diving accident as a teenager has lived from a wheelchair, wrote about the day of her wedding: “I felt awkward as my girlfriends strained to shift my paralyzed body into a cumbersome wedding gown. No amount of corseting and binding my body gave me a good shape. The dress just didn’t fit. Then, as I was wheeling into the church, I glanced down and noticed that I’d accidentally run over the hem of the dress, leaving a greasy tire mark. My paralyzed hands couldn’t hold the bouquet of daisies that lay off center on my lap. And my chair, though decorated for the wedding, was still a big, clunky gray machine with belts, gears, and ball bearings. I certainly didn’t feel like the picture perfect bride in a bridal magazine. I inched my chair closer to the last pew to catch a glimpse of Ken in front. There he was, standing tall and stately in his formal attire. I saw him looking for me, craning his neck to look up the aisle. My face flushed, and I suddenly couldn’t wait to be with him. I had seen my beloved. The love in Ken’s face had washed away all my feelings of unworthiness. I was his ‘radiant’ bride. How easy for us to think that we’re utterly unlovely- especially to someone as lovely as Christ. But he loves us with the bright eyes of a Bridegroom’s love and cannot wait for the day we are united with him forever.”

We Will See the Bride Has Been Given A Beautiful White Dress

Revelation 19:8 KJV

And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

Revelation 19:9 KJV

And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.

After all the struggles, stumbles, and even falls, the Bride is Holy complete and spotless.  Just as we were destined to be!

Romans 8:29 KJV

For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

1 Corinthians 6:9 KJV

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

1 Corinthians 6:10 KJV

Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 6:11 KJV

And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

The Holy Bride is the result of God’s Handiwork.

Philippians 2:13 KJV

For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

We struggle, fight and sometimes fail now, but keep your eyes of faith pealed on the Sky… someday our Groom will come!  Someday  We will be changed, sinless and glorified.  Someday believers on this side of Calvary will be in that Long Awaited wedding.  Are you prepared?

Charles Spurgeon said, “Climb ye up to heaven, and behold the snow-white host, glittering like the sun in spotless purity. I ask them whence came they? The reply is that they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. It is most true that Jesus saves his people from their sins–earth knows it, hell howls at it, and heaven chants it; time has seen it, and eternity shall reveal it. There is none like to Jesus in saving power. All glory be to him! When he shall come from heaven with a shout, and all his hosts shall be with him, when the day of the supper of the Lamb shall come, and the bride hath made herself ready, and she that is the queen all glorious within, wearing her raiment of wrought gold, shall sit down at the table of God with her glorious husband then shall it be seen that he has saved his church, his people, from their sins.”

Comments are closed.