Looking Hope In The Face

Looking Hope In The Face

Pastor Don Carpenter

Anchored to Hope in a Stormy World / Eternal Life / Philippians 1:21–23; 2 Corinthians 5:6–8

What will it be like to wake up in Glory?

Billy Graham tells the story of the death of his grandmother in his book, Death and the Life After (pg. 169). He writes, “When my grandmother was dying she sat up in bed, smiled, and said, “I see Jesus, and he has his hand outstretched to me. And there’s Ben and he has both of his eyes and both of his legs!” My Grandfather,” Graham writes, “had lost a leg and an eye at Gettysburg.”

Hebrews 11:1 KJV

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

As we continue our series “Anchored to Hope In a Stormy World” we turn our attention to the question of life after death. By faith we can see what is hidden to the natural man. If you are a Born Again believer, you have Bible assurance as to what will be happening and where you will be after you draw your last breath here on earth. Get ready to be blessed as you take God at His word affirm the following statements as your own and Look Hope In The Face.

I Know I Will See God

Job 19:23–27 (KJV)

Oh that my words were now written! Oh that they were printed in a book! 

That they were graven with an iron pen and lead In the rock for ever! 

For I know that my redeemer liveth, And that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: 

And though after my skin worms destroy this body, Yet in my flesh shall I see God: 

Whom I shall see for myself, And mine eyes shall behold, and not another; Though my reins be consumed within me.

Because I Have A Redeemer – One Who Paid My Price.

2 Corinthians 5:21 KJV

For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Isaiah 53:10–11 KJV

Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: When thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, He shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, And the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. 

He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: By his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; For he shall bear their iniquities.

Isaiah 53:6 KJV

All we like sheep have gone astray; We have turned every one to his own way; And the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

In Spite Of My Dying Body

1 John 3:2 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

Revelation 21:3–4 KJV

And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. 

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

I Will See Him Personally – not in some metaphorical sense – as a Father and Friend

Job 19:27 KJV

Whom I shall see for myself, And mine eyes shall behold, and not another; Though my reins be consumed within me.

Exodus 33:11 KJV

And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle.

Romans 8:15 KJV

For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

I Know I Will See Things Clearly

1 Corinthians 13:9–12 (KJV)

For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 

But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. 

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

• We know in part.

• We continue to grow and learn both in scriptures and experience

Romans 5:3–4 KJV

And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; 

And patience, experience; and experience, hope:

• No matter how much we learn and experience, out perception is limited, like peering through dark glass.

• We will see truth face to face.

• We will know Jesus then and He knows Us now!

The Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit Sermons, Vol. XVII Now, and Then (No. 1,002)

There are some grand doctrines, brethren and sisters, we dearly love, but though we love them, our understanding is too feeble to grasp them fully. We account them to be mysteries; we reverently acknowledge them, yet we dare not attempt to explain them. They are matters of faith to us. It may be that in heaven there shall be counsels of eternal wisdom into which no saints or angels can peer. It is the glory of God to conceal a matter. Surely, no creature will ever be able, even when exalted to heaven, to comprehend all the thoughts of the Creator. We shall never be omniscient—we cannot be. God alone knoweth everything, and understandeth everything. But how much more of authentic truth shall we discern when the mists and shadows have dissolved; and how much more shall we understand when raised to that higher sphere and endowed with brighter faculties, none of us can tell. Probably, things that puzzle us here will be as plain as possible there. We shall perhaps smile at our own ignorance. I have fancied sometimes that the elucidations of learned doctors of divinity, if they could be submitted to the very least in the kingdom of heaven, would only cause them to smile at the learned ignorance of the sons of earth. Oh! how little we do know, but how much we shall know! I am sure we shall know, for it is written, “Then shall I know even as also I have known.” We now see things in a mist—“men as trees, walking”—a doctrine here, and a doctrine there. And we are often at a loss to conjecture how one part harmonizes with another part of the same system, or to make out how all these doctrines are consistent. This knot cannot be untied, that gnarl cannot be unravelled, but—

“Then shall I see, and hear, and know

All I desired or wish’d below;

And every power find sweet employ

In that eternal world of joy.”

I Know I Will See Christ

The Moment My Spirit Leaves My Body!

2 Corinthians 5:6–8 KJV

Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: 

(For we walk by faith, not by sight:) 

We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Philippians 1:21–23 KJV

For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 

But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not. 

For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:

He Will Have A Place For Me 

John 14:1–3 KJV

Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 

In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

I Will Be With Him Forever

1 Thessalonians 4:17–18 KJV

Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 

Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

I Will See Him Face To Face!

1 Thessalonians 4:17–18 (KJV)

Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 

Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

*The Story of Basil Rasmussen*

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 6:52 PM April 21, 2022.