Something to Brag About

Something To Brag About

Pastor Don Carpenter

2021 Bible Reading Challenge / Jeremiah 9:23–24

One of the most effective tools that Satan can use against believers is pride. We often get cocky when we start to think that God needs our talents, our abilities, and our skills in order to further His kingdom. The prophet Jeremiah was given some words from God that will help to refocus us upon the truth. We will see that we should not be thinking about our own skill, but rather on the fact that in spite of our weaknesses, God gives us something to brag about.

Jeremiah 9:23–24 KJV

Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, Neither let the mighty man glory in his might, Let not the rich man glory in his riches: 

But let him that glorieth glory in this, That he understandeth and knoweth me, That I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: For in these things I delight, saith the LORD.

Do not glory in your own ability.

Do not glory in your wisdom

1. You are not wiser than God.

Proverbs 21:30 KJV

There is no wisdom nor understanding Nor counsel against the LORD.

Job 5:12–14 KJV

He disappointeth the devices of the crafty, So that their hands cannot perform their enterprise. 

He taketh the wise in their own craftiness: And the counsel of the froward is carried headlong. 

They meet with darkness in the daytime, And grope in the noonday as in the night.

2. Do not measure yourself by your own standard.

Isaiah 5:21 KJV

Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, And prudent in their own sight!

3. Man’s wisdom blinds him to the wisdom of God.

1 Corinthians 1:19–21 KJV

For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 

Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 

For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

1 Corinthians 3:18–20 KJV

Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. 

For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness. 

And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.

Do not glory in your own might.

Daniel 4:30–31 KJV

The king spake, and said, Is not this great Babylon, that I have built for the house of the kingdom by the might of my power, and for the honour of my majesty? 

While the word was in the king’s mouth, there fell a voice from heaven, saying, O king Nebuchadnezzar, to thee it is spoken; The kingdom is departed from thee.

Daniel 4:37 KJV

Now I Nebuchadnezzar praise and extol and honour the King of heaven, all whose works are truth, and his ways judgment: and those that walk in pride he is able to abase.

Do not glory in your own riches.

Luke 12:16-21 “And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully: And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits? And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods. And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided? So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.” 

Glory in your relationship to God.

Saved though Jesus Christ.

Romans 5:10–11 KJV

For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life. 

And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

Dead to the world.

Galatians 6:14–15 KJV

But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world. 

For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.

Glory in who God is.

Exodus 34:5–7 KJV

And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD. 

And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, 

Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children’s children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.

Lovingkindness

Psalm 51:1 KJV

Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: According unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.

Judgment

Psalm 146:7–9 KJV

Which executeth judgment for the oppressed: Which giveth food to the hungry. The LORD looseth the prisoners: 

The LORD openeth the eyes of the blind: The LORD raiseth them that are bowed down: The LORD loveth the righteous: 

The LORD preserveth the strangers; He relieveth the fatherless and widow: But the way of the wicked he turneth upside down.

Righteousness

Romans 3:25–26 KJV

Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; 

To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

EDISON COULDN’T MAKE LIFE

Are you extremely proud of your lifetime accomplishments? It was on November 21 of 1877 that Thomas Edison announced to the world that he had invented the phonograph. Edison’s accomplishments are often forgotten. In his Menlo Park, New Jersey fix-it shop he designed the following items: the household light bulb, a motion picture device, the telephone transmitter, stock ticker improvements, the mimeograph machine, the dictating machine and much more. If anyone had a right to brag, Edison did. However, he humbly acknowledged he couldn’t create the simplest form of life.

The Creator of everything and everyone has this perspective on bragging rights. He inspired: 

jer 9.23-24 “Thus saith the Lord, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, Neither let the mighty man glory in his might, Let not the rich man glory in his riches: But let him that glorieth glory in this, That he understandeth and knoweth me, That I am the Lord which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: For in these things I delight, saith the Lord.” 

When you understand how incomparable your Creator is and then realize how your knowledge, talents and wealth are but gifts from his limitless storehouse, then and only then will you discover how few bragging rights you really have.

(AMG Bible Illustrations. 2000. Bible Illustrations Series. Chattanooga: AMG Publishers.)

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 11:23 AM August 18, 2021.

Comments are closed.