Daily Archives: August 3, 2022

Righteous Soul Winning

Righteous Soul Winning

Pastor Don Carpenter

Soul Winning: So Much More Than Evangelism / Proverbs 11:30

In the mid 1800’s Charles Spurgeon, the Prince of Preachers, used our text verse to coin a term “Soul Winner”. Soul winning became a verb synonomous with evangelizing. When ever we think of someone who has a passion to share the Gospel with the lost, we call that person a “Soul Winner”. Revivals, Missions Conferences and Bible Conferences have used our text verse as a rallying cry to stir up believers to get involved in evangelism.

Those of us who have been saved a while can agree that Satan knows Scripture too and he knows how to corrupt and manipulate us to miss the mark. Everything he does is to counterfeit the real. This passage is no different. He has used superficial understanding and fleshly motives to corrupt what God is trying to communicate here. This is the reason we are going to take 9 weeks to examine the Biblical Concept of Soul Winning. It is so much more than evangelism.

A word of caution is in order at this point. We are going to get deep into the weeds of words, meanings, understanding and misunderstanding of concepts and practices. If you are only casually listening, there is a real danger you will misunderstand the material. I strongly suggest you take notes, go to forum.ebcct.org to review my notes, and re-watch our recorded live feed on Facebook. The truths we will discover in the next couple of months will help you in every facet of your relationships with others.

As we take this verse apart, we will ask and answer three questions that are vital to us understanding this verse. Once we do that we will discover a truth from this verse that is often ignored and that will help us tie it all together.

Proverbs 11:30 (KJV)

… he that winneth souls is wise.

What Is A “Winner”?

laqach (??????, 3947), “to take, receive, take away.” This word occurs in all Semitic languages and in all periods of Hebrew. It occurs about 965 times in the Old Testament.

Primarily this word means “to take, grasp, take hold of,” as when Noah reached out and “took hold of” the dove to bring it back into the ark (Gen. 8:9)1

1 Vine, W. E., Unger, M. F., & White, W., Jr. (1996). In Vine’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words (Vol. 1, p. 255). T. Nelson.

What Is A Soul?

nepesh (???????, 5315), “soul; self; life; person; heart.” This is a very common term in both ancient and modern Semitic languages. It occurs over 780 times in the Old Testament and is evenly distributed in all periods of the text with a particularly high frequency in poetic passages.

Mind

Vine, W. E., Unger, M. F., & White, W., Jr. (1996). In Vine’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words (Vol. 1, p. 237). T. Nelson.

Genesis 23:8 KJV

And he communed with them, saying, If it be your mind that I should bury my dead out of my sight; hear me, and intreat for me to Ephron the son of Zohar,

Deuteronomy 18:6 KJV

And if a Levite come from any of thy gates out of all Israel, where he sojourned, and come with all the desire of his mind unto the place which the LORD shall choose;

Deuteronomy 28:65 (KJV)

And among these nations shalt thou find no ease, neither shall the sole of thy foot have rest: but the LORD shall give thee there a trembling heart, and failing of eyes, and sorrow of mind:

Jeremiah 15:1 (KJV)

Then said the LORD unto me, Though Moses and Samuel stood before me, yet my mind could not be toward this people: cast them out of my sight, and let them go forth.

Ezekiel 23:18 (KJV)

So she discovered her whoredoms, and discovered her nakedness: then my mind was alienated from her, like as my mind was alienated from her sister.

1 Samuel 2:35 (KJV)

And I will raise me up a faithful priest, that shall do according to that which is in mine heart and in my mind: and I will build him a sure house; and he shall walk before mine anointed for ever.

2 Samuel 17:8 (KJV)

For, said Hushai, thou knowest thy father and his men, that they be mighty men, and they be chafed in their minds, as a bear robbed of her whelps in the field: and thy father is a man of war, and will not lodge with the people.

Heart

Exodus 23:9 KJV

Also thou shalt not oppress a stranger: for ye know the heart of a stranger, seeing ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.

Leviticus 26:16 (KJV)

I also will do this unto you; I will even appoint over you terror, consumption, and the burning ague, that shall consume the eyes, and cause sorrow of heart: and ye shall sow your seed in vain, for your enemies shall eat it.

Deuteronomy 24:15 (KJV)

At his day thou shalt give him his hire, neither shall the sun go down upon it; for he is poor, and setteth his heart upon it: lest he cry against thee unto the LORD, and it be sin unto thee.

2 Samuel 3:21 (KJV)

And Abner said unto David, I will arise and go, and will gather all Israel unto my lord the king, that they may make a league with thee, and that thou mayest reign over all that thine heart desireth. And David sent Abner away; and he went in peace.

Psalm 10:3 (KJV)

For the wicked boasteth of his heart’s desire, And blesseth the covetous, whom the LORD abhorreth.

Proverbs 23:7 (KJV)

For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; But his heart is not with thee.

So to review – to win is to snatch, grab hold of , take or take away. A Soul is not just a person, but in this context it is ones heart and mind. So the act of soul winning is not limited to getting someone to bow their head and to repeat a prayer… it is the act of snatching someone’s heart and mind and capturing it. This kind of thing takes skill. This leads us to a somewhat startling question and answer.

Is It Possible To Be A Wicked Soul Winner? YES!

2 Samuel 15:6 KJV

And on this manner did Absalom to all Israel that came to the king for judgment: so Absalom stole the hearts of the men of Israel.

Proverbs 6:24–25 KJV

To keep thee from the evil woman, From the flattery of the tongue of a strange woman. 

Lust not after her beauty in thine heart; Neither let her take thee with her eyelids.

So it is possible to “win” a “soul” – to catch or snare them, in order to fulfill ones personal lusts for money power or influence. It is possible to be wicked soul winner.

We Independent Fundamental Baptists have “soul winning” clinics and courses dedicated to teach folks how to trick people into praying a prayer and then boasting on the numbers of souls “won” when in reality, the tricks employed did not lead them to true salvation, but rather tricked them into an outward symbol with no inward reality. So what is the missing factor? What truth will bring us away from a fleshly wicked trickster approach at manipulating the gullible to seeing genuine Godly influence and conversion? The answer is found in the first part of this verse … the part that is often ignored or glossed over.

Proverbs 11:30 (KJV)

The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; And he that winneth souls is wise.

Godly Soul Winning Is The Fruit Of True Righteousness.

Discern Between Earthly and Heavenly Wisdom

James 3:13–18 KJV

Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom. 

But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. 

This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. 

For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work. 

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. 

And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

If we take tree of life as indicated above, this line may be expressed, for example, “The good person’s fruit is a tree that gives long life.” Using non figurative language we may say, for example, “The acts of a good person are a source of life” or “What a good person does gives life to others.” We may also say, for example, “The way honest people live gives life to others.”1

1 Reyburn, W. D., & Fry, E. M. (2000). A handbook on Proverbs (p. 260). United Bible Societies.

H. A. Ironside, a famous preacher and commentator from the early 1900’s said this

… all who are truly wise according to God will be channels of blessing to others—winners of souls. Searching is the truth here stated. Wisdom consists not in the knowledge of Scripture, or divine principles, precious as such are and must be; but in the ability to walk in the power of these things, and to so minister to men and women, yea, and children too (preeminently, one might say), that they shall be won for Christ and His truth. Tested by this, how few are the wise! It is evident that soul-winning is not the slipshod business many would make it out to be—the mere hit-or-miss ministry that is so common to-day. On the contrary, it is a divine science, requiring much earnest preparation of heart in the presence of God; careful study of the need of the souls of men and of the truth of the Scriptures as given to meet that need.1

1 Ironside, H. A. (1908). Notes on the Book of Proverbs (pp. 128–129). Loizeaux Bros.

Jesus Said His Disciples Would Catch Men

Luke 5:10 KJV

And so was also James, and John, the sons of Zebedee, which were partners with Simon. And Jesus said unto Simon, Fear not; from henceforth thou shalt catch men.

This Involves a Conversion of Thought.

James 5:19–20 KJV

Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; 

Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

So what have we learned this evening?

• To win is to catch, grab hold of, snatch, take.

• A Soul is one’s heart and mind.

• To win a soul not not limited to evangelism.

• It is possible to be a wicked soul winner.

• Godly soul winning starts with a person already made righteous, following godly motives and tactics, reaching out in love to influence a heart and mind for good.

James 3:17–18 KJV

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. 

And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

In the next 8 weeks we will examine how to follow James 3:17-18 as we seek to capture hearts and minds or God’s glory. We will learn to:

• Speak Graciously

• Teach Meekly

• Answer Softly

• Live Peacefully

• Love Truthfully

• Communicate Sensitively

• Reach out Sympathetically 

• Persuade Passionately

May God be with us all as we hone the art of righteous soul winning.

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 2:03 PM August 3, 2022.