For The Profit of Many

Pastor Don Carpenter

When In Doubt / 1 Corinthians 10:23–33

Whatever we obtain from the Lord is granted on the condition of our employing it for the common good of the Church, and, therefore, the legitimate use of all our gifts is a kind and liberal communication of them with others. There cannot be a surer rule, nor a stronger exhortation to the observance of it, than when we are taught that all the endowments that we possess are divine deposits entrusted to us for the very purpose of being distributed for the good of our neighbor.

JOHN CALVIN

Elliot Ritzema, 300 Quotations for Preachers from the Reformation, Pastorum Series (Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2013).

In the past several weeks as we have studied Romans 14 we have discovered that in Christ we have freedom to make personal stands that differ from the stands others may make on extra-Biblical topics. As we finish our study “When In Doubt” I believe it is wise to look at 1 Corinthians 10 where Paul summarizes the principles we learned in Romans 14. In the end, all we have, our relationships, our knowledge, our freedoms are to be used to glorify God and God is glorified when we reach others. God is pleased when we use our freedom for the profit of many.

All Things Are Lawful

1 Corinthians 10:23 KJV

All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

Inanimate Objects Can Be Used For Good.

Romans 14:14 KJV

I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

There Is No Guilt By Association if You Avoid the Association.

1 Corinthians 10:25–27 KJV

Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, that eat, asking no question for conscience sake: 

For the earth is the Lord’s, and the fulness thereof. 

If any of them that believe not bid you to a feast, and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake.

• Some people try to dig up associations for a spiritual superiority

• Ties are phalic symbols

• Ties are like the pagan talisman

• Christmas trees are Pagan Yule logs

• Stop Anapestic beat (accent on 2&4) is from the jungle… they worship the devil in the jungle… therefore anything with that beat is demonic…

• Much of that is created to be a fake measurment by which to judge and feel superior to others.

• Don’t look for it… just enjoy it.

Not All Things Are Wise

1 Corinthians 10:23 KJV

All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

Some Things Will Control You

1 Corinthians 6:12 KJV

All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

Some Things Are Not Expedient

• Expedient = brings together

• Instead some things divide

1 Corinthians 10:28 KJV

But if any man say unto you, This is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that shewed it, and for conscience sake: for the earth is the Lord’s, and the fulness thereof:

Some Things Do Not Edify

1 Corinthians 14:12 KJV

Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

• Edify = build up

• Offend = cause to stumble.

Use Your Freedom In Christ To Reach People 

• Be Sensitive to Others

1 Corinthians 10:29–30 KJV

Conscience, I say, not thine own, but of the other: for why is my liberty judged of another man’s conscience? 

For if I by grace be a partaker, why am I evil spoken of for that for which I give thanks?

• Serve God Not Yourself

1 Corinthians 10:31 KJV

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

As You Serve God, Protect His People

1 Corinthians 10:32 KJV

Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:

Seek to Win Others, Not Shame Them

1 Corinthians 10:33 KJV

Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.

Proverbs 11:30 KJV

The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; And he that winneth souls is wise.

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 10:55 AM March 5, 2021.

Comments are closed.