Compelled to SING!

Compelled to Sing

Pastor Don Carpenter

Sing! / 2 Corinthians 5:14–15

Human beings are interesting creatures. We respond with emotion, sound, laughing, crying, singing, shouting to stimuli around us. We naturally react viably and audibly to what we find out… we react to revelation. Kristyn Getty explains:

We don’t have to be in a church building to understand we are wired this way. When Ireland beats England in rugby (always a beautiful occasion), Keith and his dad cheer till they’re hoarse. When we stand on the precipice of the Grand Canyon or at the jazz festival of Montreux at the foot of the French Alps, our eyes and hearts feast upon it. When we hear that a couple whom we love has become engaged, we exclaim our joy out loud. Praise is prompted by—compelled by—the revelation of something glorious.  

The Apostle Paul tells us that revelation motivates us, constrains us.

2 Corinthians 5:14–15 KJV

For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: 

And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.

Constraineth (???????). See on taken, Luke 4:38; Acts 18:5. It is the word rendered I am in a strait, Philip. 1:23. Compare Luke 12:50. The idea is not urging or driving, but shutting up to one line and purpose, as in a narrow, walled road.

1 Marvin Richardson Vincent, Word Studies in the New Testament, vol. 3 (New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1887), 320. 

Compelled to Sing In Response To Revelation

Let Freedom Sing!

John 8:32 KJV

And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

John 8:36 KJV

If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Romans 5:8–9 KJV

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. 

Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

When Satan tempts me to despair And tells me of the guilt within Upward I look and see Him there Who made an end of all my sin,Because the sinless Savior died,My sinful soul is counted free,For God the just is satisfied To look on Him and pardon me.(Charitie L. Bancroft, “Before the Throne of God Above,” 1863)

• Free from something free for something 

• Free to run from what tore me apart and to that which makes me whole. 

“I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation.” – C.S. Lewis

Can’t Keep It Secret

Psalm 40:10 KJV

I have not hid thy righteousness within my heart; I have declared thy faithfulness and thy salvation: I have not concealed thy lovingkindness and thy truth from the great congregation.

• Social Media – Like and Share

• Not only do we know we should praise Him, but we can’t help it.

Steven Curtis Chapman Writes a Powerful song- Live Out Loud:

Imagine this I get a phone call from Regis

He says, “Do you want to be a millionaire?”

They put me on the show and I win with two lifelines to spare

Now picture this I act like nothing ever happened

And bury all the money in a coffee can

Well, I’ve been given more than Regis ever gave away

I was a dead man who was called to come out of my grave

And I think it’s time for makin’ some noise

Wake the neighbors, get the word out

Come on crank up the music, climb a mountain and shout

This is life we’ve been given, made to be lived out

So la la la la live out loud

Got to live out loud, now now now now

Think about this, try to keep a bird from singing

After it’s soared up in the sky

Give the sun a cloudless day and tell it not to shine

Think about this if we really have been given

The gift of life that will never end

And if we have been filled with living hope, we’re gonna overflow

And if God’s love is burning in our hearts well you know we’re gonna blow

There’s just no way to keep it in

Every corner of creation is a living declaration

Come join the song we were made to sing

Everybody sing

Every corner of creation is a living declaration

Come join the song we were made to sing

Every come on

Wake the neighbors, get the word out

So come on crank up the music, climb a mountain and shout

This is life we’ve been given, made to be lived out

Revelation and Response Throughout Scriptures:

A Song Of Deliverance

Exodus 15:1–2 KJV

Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the LORD, and spake, saying, I will sing unto the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously: The horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea. 

The LORD is my strength and song, And he is become my salvation: He is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; My father’s God, and I will exalt him.

• First Song recorded in Scriptures

• A Natural response to God’s mighty act

• Song by 2 million voices!

A Song of Strength In Battle

• Deborah

Judges 5:1–4 KJV

Then sang Deborah and Barak the son of Abinoam on that day, saying, 

Praise ye the LORD for the avenging of Israel, When the people willingly offered themselves. 

Hear, O ye kings; give ear, O ye princes; I, even I, will sing unto the LORD; I will sing praise to the LORD God of Israel. 

LORD, When thou wentest out of Seir, When thou marchedst out of the field of Edom, The earth trembled, and the heavens dropped, The clouds also dropped water.

• Celebrating the Ark’s Return From the enemy

1 Chronicles 15:27–29 KJV

And David was clothed with a robe of fine linen, and all the Levites that bare the ark, and the singers, and Chenaniah the master of the song with the singers: David also had upon him an ephod of linen. 

Thus all Israel brought up the ark of the covenant of the LORD with shouting, and with sound of the cornet, and with trumpets, and with cymbals, making a noise with psalteries and harps. 

And it came to pass, as the ark of the covenant of the LORD came to the city of David, that Michal the daughter of Saul looking out at a window saw king David dancing and playing: and she despised him in her heart.

• Song of faith as they entered battle… songs are armour for battle in this life – celebrating the sure victories in Christ.

2 Chronicles 20:21–22 KJV

And when he had consulted with the people, he appointed singers unto the LORD, and that should praise the beauty of holiness, as they went out before the army, and to say, Praise the LORD; for his mercy endureth for ever. 

And when they began to sing and to praise, the LORD set ambushments against the children of Ammon, Moab, and mount Seir, which were come against Judah; and they were smitten.

A Song of Assurance

Psalm 40:1–4 KJV

I waited patiently for the LORD; And he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. 

He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, And set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. 

And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: Many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD. 

Blessed is that man that maketh the LORD his trust, And respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.

Psalm 31:19–21 KJV

Oh how great is thy goodness, which thou hast laid up for them that fear thee; Which thou hast wrought for them that trust in thee Before the sons of men! 

Thou shalt hide them in the secret of thy presence from the pride of man: Thou shalt keep them secretly in a pavilion from the strife of tongues. 

Blessed be the LORD: for he hath shewed me his marvellous kindness in a strong city.

Psalm 117:1 KJV

O praise the LORD, all ye nations: Praise him, all ye people.

Psalm 96:2 KJV

Sing unto the LORD, bless his name; Shew forth his salvation from day to day.

Psalm 105:2 KJV

Sing unto him, sing psalms unto him: Talk ye of all his wondrous works.

Meditating on who God is and all He has done triggers an authentic response of praise to God from our hearts and from our singing.

1 Keith Getty and Kristyn Getty, Sing! How Worship Transforms Your Life, Family, and Church (Nashville, TN: B&H Books, 2017). 

A Song of Hope – Sung By The Prophets

Ezra 3:10–13 KJV

And when the builders laid the foundation of the temple of the LORD, they set the priests in their apparel with trumpets, and the Levites the sons of Asaph with cymbals, to praise the LORD, after the ordinance of David king of Israel. 

And they sang together by course in praising and giving thanks unto the LORD; because he is good, for his mercy endureth for ever toward Israel. And all the people shouted with a great shout, when they praised the LORD, because the foundation of the house of the LORD was laid. 

But many of the priests and Levites and chief of the fathers, who were ancient men, that had seen the first house, when the foundation of this house was laid before their eyes, wept with a loud voice; and many shouted aloud for joy: 

So that the people could not discern the noise of the shout of joy from the noise of the weeping of the people: for the people shouted with a loud shout, and the noise was heard afar off.

Nehemiah 12:27–29 KJV

And at the dedication of the wall of Jerusalem they sought the Levites out of all their places, to bring them to Jerusalem, to keep the dedication with gladness, both with thanksgivings, and with singing, with cymbals, psalteries, and with harps. 

And the sons of the singers gathered themselves together, both out of the plain country round about Jerusalem, and from the villages of Netophathi; 

Also from the house of Gilgal, and out of the fields of Geba and Azmaveth: for the singers had builded them villages round about Jerusalem.

The Israelites sang during Ezra’s day when the foundation of the new temple was completed by the returning exiles (Ezra 3:10–13)—just as they sang when the walls were thoroughly rebuilt around Jerusalem under the leadership of Nehemiah (Neh. 12:27–29). They knew that it was God who had brought them back from exile, who had restored their hope and promised them future blessing. So they sang. Singing together marked both the rhythms of their daily life and the special occasions.1 

1 Keith Getty and Kristyn Getty, Sing! How Worship Transforms Your Life, Family, and Church (Nashville, TN: B&H Books, 2017). 

A Song That Sustains

Romans 8:38–39 KJV

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 

Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Acts 16:25 KJV

And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.

Compelled to Sing In Response to Salvation

Revelation 15:2–3 KJV

And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire: and them that had gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name, stand on the sea of glass, having the harps of God. 

And they sing the song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, Great and marvellous are thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are thy ways, thou King of saints.

Kieth Getty Tells this story:

We both grew up listening to the sounds of the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir. There was a period in Kristyn’s life when her dad would play a short film of the testimony of one of the choir members, Calvin Hunt, every morning before they headed out for the day. Calvin’s life had been destroyed by crack cocaine and he had been living on the streets, estranged from his family, when he stumbled into Brooklyn Tabernacle Church one day, heard the gospel, and committed his life to Christ. The key moment in the interview was the one that showed him singing with the choir, his face shining and voice bursting with the lyrics: 

There is a blood, a cleansing blood, that flows from Calvary And in this blood there’s a saving power For it washes white and makes me clean I’m clean, I’m clean, I’ve been washed in His blood. 

Calvin didn’t need to be told to sing. Singing gives voice to a heart that deeply knows the gospel of grace. It is the overflow of a heart captivated by the gospel. In as many voices that join together to sing there are as many hearts that are called to know Christ as Lord and Savior. From that place there is a genuine and rich overflow of praise. This should reassure us. No matter how you are feeling, nor how good or bad a week you’ve had, you can lift your eyes to Jesus with relief, for He has washed you clean, and so you can sing wherever your life is at and whatever you are facing .

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 11:45 AM February 13, 2021.

Comments are closed.