Fully Persuaded

Fully Persuaded

Pastor Don Carpenter

When In Doubt / Romans 14:5–11

The story is told about a Catholic priest who was walking down an alley behind his church when a thief jumped out from behind some garbage cans and pressed the muzzle of his gun into the priest’s ribs. 

The thief said, “Give me your wallet!” 

Without hesitation, the priest went and reached for his wallet in the front pocket of his coat. It was then the thief got a glimpse of his collar. 

“Are you a priest,” the thief asked? 

“Yes I am,” said the priest. 

“Well, put your wallet back,” the thief said. “I don’t rob priests. I am Catholic too.” 

At that point, the relieved Catholic priest pulled out two cigars and offered one to the thief. The repentant thief responded, “Oh no, I could not do that. Smoking is wrong and I can’t believe you would do such an evil thing!” 

Sometimes people have convictions about certain things, but fail to deal with the things that really matter in their lives. 

(Scott Kircher, cited in a sermon by Mark Opperman, Life, Love, and Liberty, 6/19/2012) 

It is interesting how we all tend to grab onto certain things and leave other things, sometimes things that are much clearer in scripture, alone.  

As we continue our series “When In Doubt” , tonight we are going to discover that good people can have different convictions and practices. We will discover that these convictions are unique both to the individual and to the individual’s relationship with God. We are going to learn to evaluate our own decisions carefully, while allowing others to come to other conclusions. When it comes to spiritual decisions, we must make them Biblically and prayerfully, and be fully persuaded.

Decisions Can Be Different Among Bible Believers.

Romans 14:5 KJV

One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

The precise time for festivals was such an important issue in Judaism that different Jewish groups broke fellowship with each other over the issue. (Not much later in history, different Christian groups followed suit.) Pagans had their own festivals, with different nations having their own ancestral customs and calendars. But Gentile writers especially reviled the Jewish sabbath. Romans reasoned that Jews were just lazy and wanted a day off from work. (This was not the first time in history that someone viewed Jewish worship in such terms—Ex 5:17.) Paul also alludes to the Jewish custom of giving thanks over food.1 

1 Craig S. Keener, The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1993), Ro 14:5–6. 

One Day Above Another

Exodus 31:12–17 KJV

And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 

Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you. 

Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. 

Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. 

Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. 

It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

Each Day Alike

Colossians 2:14–16 KJV

Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; 

And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. 

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Galatians 4:10 KJV

Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.

Colossians 2:16 KJV

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Decisions Are Unique To You

Rom 14:5

… Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

Fully Persuaded

“Fully persuaded” is pl?rophore? (??????????), “to be fully convinced or assured, to be persuaded.” Bengel, commenting on the words, “in his own mind,” says, “As a boat may pursue its course uninjured either in a narrow canal or in a spacious lake.”1 

1 Kenneth S. Wuest, Wuest’s Word Studies from the Greek New Testament: For the English Reader, vol. 2 (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1997), 233. 

• You are responsible for the scriptures you know.

• You are responsible for God’s personal leading in your life.

• God does have direction for you, you need to seek it.

In Your Own Mind

Paul would have added something else to that: people should never make their own practice the universal standard for everyone else. This, in fact, is one of the curses of the Church. People are so apt to think that their way of worship is the only way. The New Testament scholar T. R. Glover quotes a saying: ‘Whatsoever thy hand ?ndeth to do, do it with thy might—but remember that someone thinks differently.’ We would do well to remember that, in a great many matters, it is a duty to have our own convictions, but it is an equal duty to allow others to have theirs without regarding them as sinners and outcasts.1 

1 William Barclay, The Letter to the Romans, 3rd ed. fully rev. & updated., The New Daily Study Bible (Louisville, KY; London: Westminster John Knox Press, 2002), 218. 

• God expects you to make the call

• God expects you to make the call for yourself… not others

Decisions Are Unique to Your Relationship With God.

Romans 14:6 KJV

He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

(import canvass)

(14:6) Denney explains, “The indifference of the question at issue, from the religious point of view, is shown by the fact that both parties, by the line of action they choose, have the same end in view—namely, the interest of the Lord … Thanksgiving to God consecrates every meal whether it be the ascetic one of him who abstains from wine and flesh (he who does not eat), or the more generous one of him who uses both (he who eats). The thanksgiving shows that in either case the Christian is acting to the glory of God (I Cor. 10:31), and therefore that the Lord’s interest is safe.” 1 

1 Kenneth S. Wuest, Wuest’s Word Studies from the Greek New Testament: For the English Reader, vol. 2 (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1997), 233–234. 

Decisions Are Not Made In A Vacuum

Romans 14:7–9 KJV

For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. 

For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord’s. 

For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

1 Corinthians 6:19–20 KJV

What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 

For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.

14:9 for this reason Here Paul reminds his audience that Christ’s death and resurrection should encourage believers to live for the Lord, not themselves. Christians should use their freedom in Christ to show love and respect to fellow believers since He died for all people—both the living and the dead, the strong and the weak.1 

1 John D. Barry, Douglas Mangum, Derek R. Brown, et al., Faithlife Study Bible (Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2012, 2016), Ro 14:9 

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 1:36 PM February 6, 2021.

Comments are closed.