Under The Influence of Music

Under The Influence of The Music

Pastor Don Carpenter / General

Under the Influence / Gospel Music / Ephesians 5:19

Back in 1998, researchers found that music stimulates the auditory nerves and creates brain messages that ripple through the body, influencing muscle tone equilibrium and joint flexibility.

The human heartbeat is especially attuned to sound. As music changes in tempo and volume, it acts as a natural pacemaker. Our breathing slows down or speeds up along with the music.

A study at Michigan State University found that just 15 minutes of listening to music increases levels of immune chemicals that are vital to protect us against disease.

The release of cortisol (the “stress hormone”) dropped by up to 25%.

(Don Campbell, founder of Institute for Music, Health and Education “Bottom Line –Tomorrow” Sept 1998 p. 9)

ILLUS: Then in 2001, scientists were amazed to find that music is able to help heal the body.

• Burn victims, encouraged to sing while having their dressing changed, experienced less pain.

• Cancer patients who listened to – and practiced with – musical instruments, saw their levels of stress hormones drop and their immune systems get stronger.

Professor Richard Fratianne observed: “By helping patients relax, music eases pain and may even speed recovery,” (Peter Jaret Reader’s Digest 9/01)

From a sermon by Jeff Strite, B Joyful, 11/15/2009

Last week we discovered that the quality and use of our walk, our time, and our wisdom will be determined upon what influence we are under. We saw that it is possible to be filled with or under the influence of alcohol or other things that would control us.. and that influence would lead to an outcome that would be displeasing to God. On the other hand, we discovered that if we are under the influence, or filled with the Holy Spirit, we will not be fulfilling the lusts of the flesh and we will be pleasing to God.

This week as we continue our series “Under The Influence”, we will discover that we are to speak to ourselves, to others, and to God through both melody and lyrics. We are to be under the influence of music.

Speak To Yourselves Through Music

King James Version Eph 5:19a

19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs…

Psalms -Psalms are religious songs, especially those sung to a musical accompaniment, and par excellence an o.t. psalm;

Wuest, K. S. (1997). Wuest’s word studies from the Greek New Testament: For the English reader (Eph 5:18). Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.

Psalms—psalmos—a pulling or twitching, or twanging with the fingers.

The sound of the cithara; a harp. A song sung to a stringed instrument. Same with Col. 3:16.1

1 W. A. Haynes, The Beautiful Word Pictures of the Epistle to the Ephesians: Or, the Busy Man’s Commentary upon the Bible (Caney, KS: Busy Man’s Bible Company, 1911), 176.

James 5:13 KJV

Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.

In Jas. 5:13 it is psallo—to sing songs of praise, whether accompanied with instrumental music or not, but especially with instruments.1

1 W. A. Haynes, The Beautiful Word Pictures of the Epistle to the Ephesians: Or, the Busy Man’s Commentary upon the Bible (Caney, KS: Busy Man’s Bible Company, 1911), 176.

Hymns -hymns are properly speaking songs of praise;

Spiritual songs” probably refers to Spirit-inspired songs (cf. 1 Chron 25:1–6), possibly spontaneous, which would clearly distinguish Christian worship from nearly all worship in antiquity (cf. 1 Cor 14:15).

1 Craig S. Keener, The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1993), Eph 5:19.

The Music Is Supposed To Move You

John 4:23 KJV

But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

Worship in spirit = worship with passion and emotion. This emotion will be naturally expressed with certain physical expressions. See what natural expressions occur in Biblical praise and worship:

Ezekiel 25:6–7 KJV

For thus saith the Lord GOD; Because thou hast clapped thine hands, and stamped with the feet, and rejoiced in heart with all thy despite against the land of Israel; 

Behold, therefore I will stretch out mine hand upon thee, and will deliver thee for a spoil to the heathen; and I will cut thee off from the people, and I will cause thee to perish out of the countries: I will destroy thee; and thou shalt know that I am the LORD.

Psalm 47:1 KJV

O clap your hands, all ye people; Shout unto God with the voice of triumph.

Psalm 47:5–6 KJV

God is gone up with a shout, The LORD with the sound of a trumpet. 

Sing praises to God, sing praises: Sing praises unto our King, sing praises.

Psalm 33:2–3 KJV

Praise the LORD with harp: Sing unto him with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings. 

Sing unto him a new song; Play skilfully with a loud noise.

Psalm 51:14 KJV

Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: And my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.

Psalm 5:11 KJV

But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: Let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: Let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee.

Psalm 35:27 KJV

Let them shout for joy, and be glad, that favour my righteous cause: Yea, let them say continually, Let the LORD be magnified, Which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.

Psalm 65:13 KJV

The pastures are clothed with flocks; The valleys also are covered over with corn; They shout for joy, they also sing.

Psalm 30:11 KJV

Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: Thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness;

Psalm 149:3 KJV

Let them praise his name in the dance: Let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.

Psalm 150:4 KJV

Praise him with the timbrel and dance: Praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

Speak To Each Other Through Music

Colossians 3:16 KJV

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Psalm 40:3 KJV

And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: Many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.

That is one way to edify each other in the assembly.

Hebrews 10:24–25 KJV

And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: 

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

So music then in church is not just about you, it is about your brother and sister. Your singing may move you… but it may also may move those around you. Do not cheat your brethren by not singing with all your heart. Do not throw a wet blanket on the flames fanned by the Holy Spirit because your particular musical taste is not being catered to at the moment.

People complain about the new music. Remember, hymns used to be the new music!

What is wrong with the inspiring hymns we grew up with? When I go to church, it is to worship God, not to be distracted with learning a new song. Last Sunday’s was particularly unnerving. The song was un-singable and the harmonies were quite distorting. (Letter in 1890 about the hymn “What A Friend We Have In Jesus.”

Speak To God Through Your Music

King James Version Eph 5:19b

… singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord

• God listens to what no one else can hear, the sounds of your heart.

• God hears the song stuck in your head.

• Does God enjoy listening to your heart’s playlist?

• Your heart will put the songs you listen to most often on repeat… will God be honored?

• We reach each other with the songs and lyrics coming out of our mouth.

• We honor God with the songs and melodies playing in our hearts.

Psalm 86:12 KJV

I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: And I will glorify thy name for evermore.

Psalm 105:3 KJV

Glory ye in his holy name: Let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD.

A man named Jack Hinton was on a short-term mission’s trip to the island of Tobago. He was leading worship at the leper colony there and there was time for one more song, so he asked if anyone had a request.

A woman who had been facing away from the pulpit turned around.

“It was the most hideous face I had ever seen,” Hinton said. “The woman’s nose and ears were entirely gone. The disease had destroyed her lips as well. She lifted a fingerless hand in the air and asked, ‘Can we sing Count Your Many Blessings?’”

Overcome with emotion, Hinton left the service.

He was followed by another team member who said, “Jack, I guess you’ll never be able to sing that song again.”

“Yes I will,” he replied, “but I’ll never sing the same way.”

From a sermon by Jeff Strite, B Joyful, 11/15/2009

The quality and use of our walk, our time, and our wisdom will be determined upon what influence we are under. Be under the influence of the right music. Be under the influence of godly lyrics backed up with skillful accompaniment – Psalms. Be under the influence of songs of praise – Hymns. Be under the influence of songs fueled by the power of the Holy Spirit – Spiritual Songs. Sing to yourselves. Sing among yourselves. Do it so often that your heart picks up the play list and then God gets to listen to the music only the both of you can enjoy together as it rings in your heart. This is what it is to be under the influence of Music.

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 12:13 PM January 7, 2021.

Comments are closed.