Loving Life in 2020

Loving Life in 2020

Pastor Don Carpenter / General

Not From Around Here: The Complicated Life of a Sojourner / Unity of Humanity; Peace / 1 Peter 3:8–11

1 Peter 3:10 KJV
For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:

How is it going this evening? Do and suffering through your days. The Apostle Peter in our passage is writing to people who are suffering persecution for the cause of Christ. Many people who read this epistle were imprisoned for their faith. In spite of these circumstances, Peter told them that it was possible to love life and see good days. The truths Peter taught then still stand today. May God help you to adjust your thinking as you learn how to love the life that you live.

Seek the Truth

The wisdom of God found in His Word.

Proverbs 3:13–18 KJV
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, And the man that getteth understanding.

For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, And the gain thereof than fine gold.

She is more precious than rubies: And all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her.

Length of days is in her right hand; And in her left hand riches and honour.

Her ways are ways of pleasantness, And all her paths are peace.

She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: And happy is every one that retaineth her.

1. Brings happiness

2. Has great value

3. Tends to a long life

4. Brings pleasantness

5. Brings peace

B. The Wisdom of your parents

Proverbs 3:1–2 KJV
My son, forget not my law; But let thine heart keep my commandments:

For length of days, and long life, And peace, shall they add to thee.

Proverbs 4:20–22 KJV
My son, attend to my words; Incline thine ear unto my sayings.

Let them not depart from thine eyes; Keep them in the midst of thine heart.

For they are life unto those that find them, And health to all their flesh.

Seek Unity

1 Peter 3:8 KJV
Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:

Be of one mind – homophron = of the same mind.

Romans 12:16 KJV
Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.

Share the same compassion one for another – sumpathes =suffering along with

Romans 12:15 KJV
Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.

Love as brethren

1 Corinthians 1:10 KJV
Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

1 John 3:14 KJV
We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

Be pitiful = tenderhearted – of good heartedness

Courteous – philophron = friendly of mind

Ephesians 4:31–32 KJV
Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:

And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.

Seek Peace

1000 Illustrations for Preaching & Teaching Perfect Peace

John Henry Newman wrote perceptively: “ ‘These things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.’ What is fulness of joy but peace? Joy is tumultuous only when it is not full; but peace is the privilege of those who are ‘filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea.’ ‘Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee, because he trusteth in Thee.’ ”

Practice payback Jesus style.

1 Peter 3:9 KJV
Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing.

1. Not evil for evil

Proverbs 20:22 KJV 1900

Say not thou, I will recompense evil;

But wait on the Lord, and he shall save thee.

1. Not railing for railing = insults
  2. Give blessing in the place of evil or railing

Romans 12:19–21 KJV
Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.

Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

1. This is your calling.

2 Corinthians 5:20 KJV
Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ’s stead, be ye reconciled to God.

Avoid verbal payback

1 Peter 3:10 KJV
For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:

Matthew 5:38–39 KJV
Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Eschew evil = turn away from on purpose by doing good instead.

1 Peter 3:11 KJV
Let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it.

Seek peace

James 3:18 KJV
And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

1. Avoid conflict as much as possible.
  2. Do not replace expressed anger with silent bitterness.

E. Keep an open line with God.

1 Peter 3:12 KJV
For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil.

1000 Illustrations for Preaching & Teaching Personal Peace

Peace is far more than protection from annihilation. Peace is more than the cessation of hostilities. Peace is more than a state of mind or the tranquility of a countryside. Peace is commitment to a way of life which precludes war, poverty, slavery, prejudice, and fear. Peace is action. Peace is the fruit of love.

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 10:59 AM July 15, 2020.

Comments are closed.