Strength In Weakness

Strength in Weakness

Isaiah 40:28-31

Preached Sunday July 30, 2017

Introduction:

About 23 years ago, I was suffering from a terrible sinus infection. Finally, I sought the doctor’s advice and treatment. He prescribed a strong medicine and recommended that I continue taking the strongest over the counter decongestant that was on the market.

Later on, in the middle of the night I went downstairs to use the bathroom. My head began to feel strange began to feel strange. The room started to spin, grow dark, then… I heard moaning. I could not see at all. Soon I realized that the moaning I heard was me. I had fainted. I was on the bathroom floor. The medicines had interacted.

This message today is for men and women that are involved in the work of the Lord, who find themselves spiritually faint. Sometimes after we have been saved for a while, we become spiritually ill. We attempt to continue serving God the same way that we used to… But something is wrong and we faint, falling flat on our faces spiritually.

After we hit the ground, we have two choices. We could correct the problem that caused us to faint, or we could be content to be a spiritual invalid- pulling away from the spiritual commitments we once had. We are no longer willing to go soulwinning, teach Sunday school, serve on a committee, or attend services regularly.

God’s word gives us a simple cure for spiritual fainting spells. We must learn that “wait” is an action word. We must find a different power source, and learn to serve God on the long haul. May God speak to your heart as we discover the cure to spiritual fainting spells.

1. Even the Strongest of People Grow Faint From Time to Time

Even the youths shall faint and be weary, And the young men shall utterly fall:” (Isaiah 40:30, KJV 1900)

1. Weakness comes when we rely on human strength and provision to accomplish a heavenly task.
  2. Fainting causes us to miss out on the blessings that are already coming to us.

And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.” (Galatians 6:9, KJV 1900)

1. Fainting causes us to give in to fatigue, depression, and apathy.
  2. Fainting causes us to want to tear down and retreat rather than to build up and conquer.

And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested.” (1 Chronicles 4:10, KJV 1900)

1. The Answer to Fainting is Revival not Retreat

Isaiah 40:31

31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. 

1. Service “Wait” is an action word

• Like a waiter

Psalm 27:14

14 Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.

Psalm 37:34

34 Wait on the LORD, and keep his way, and he shall exalt thee to inherit the land: when the wicked are cut off, thou shalt see it.

Psalm 25:3

3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

1. Expectation

Psalm 40:1

1 To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.

1  I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. 

Lamentations 3:25-26

25 The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him. 26 It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD.

1. Jesus taught the same principal

• Rest comes when you exchange your burden for Christ’s

Matthew 11:28-30

28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

• You need a different power source

31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. 

1. Renew= “change of strength”

Psalm 84:5-7

5 Blessed is the man whose strength is in thee; in whose heart are the ways of them. 6 Who passing through the valley of Baca make it a well; the rain also filleth the pools.   7 They go from strength to strength, every one of them in Zion appeareth before God. 

1. From your flesh

Romans 7:18

18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

1. To God

Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, That the everlasting God, the Lord, The Creator of the ends of the earth, Fainteth not, neither is weary? There is no searching of his understanding. He giveth power to the faint; And to them that have no might he increaseth strength.” (Isaiah 40:28–29, KJV 1900)

Psalm 18:1-2

1 To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, the servant of the LORD, who spake unto the LORD the words of this song in the day that the LORD delivered him from the hand of all his enemies, and from the hand of Saul: And he said,

1  I will love thee, O LORD, my strength. 2 The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.

Zechariah 4:6

6 Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts. 

1. Find strength in spite of circumstances!

2 Corinthians 4:8-10

8 We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;  9 Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; 10 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.

2 Corinthians 4:16

16 For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10

9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

1. You can serve God for the long haul!

1. Mount up with wings= ascend as a result of immediate deliverance

Exodus 19:4

4 Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles’ wings, and brought you unto myself.

1. Run= especially running to one’s aid

2 Corinthians 5:11

11 Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.

1. You can do these things without fainting from lack of faith

Psalm 27:13

13 I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.

Comments are closed.