Daily Archives: September 30, 2020

Welcome Home

Welcome Home

Pastor Don Carpenter / General

Heaven / 2 Corinthians 5:6–8

A preacher and a song leader were both avid baseball fans. These guys didn’t just like baseball; they lived, breathed and ate baseball. What time they weren’t about church duties, they were attending a game, watching a game on the tube, or coaching a little league game in the park.

One day, one of them mused about whether there would be baseball in heaven and quite a conversation ensued. “Everything is perfect in heaven, isn’t it? We will want for nothing in heaven, will we? Surely there will be baseball in heaven!” They finally made a pact that whichever one got to heaven first would somehow try to contact the other and let him know for a fact whether they had baseball.

As it turned out, the preacher died first. A week later he appeared to the song leader in a dream and said, “Well, I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is, there is indeed baseball in heaven. The bad news is, you are scheduled to pitch this Saturday.”

What will heaven be like? I have been asked that quite a few times in my ministry. When I think of the typical streets of gold passages, I realize they are mostly talking about the New Heaven and New Earth… or the Kingdom where the Lion and the Lamb are lying down together.  

So what of Heaven right now? Some imagine heaven as a personalized fulfillment of your deepest longing or desires. Perpetual Baseball. A land of perfect food and no Hawaiian Pizza…. but what of Heaven for real what do we know?

As I considered this question in prayer, God the Holy Spirit took me on a tour. I would like to take you on the same one. This message is for people who have already put their faith and trust in Jesus as Savior. You know beyond a shadow of a doubt that be it by the undertaker or the uppertaker in the Rapture, you are heaven bound.  

Let us, with the guidance of scripture and the Holy Spirit, though the eyes of faith, take a virtual tour of our next stop in eternity. Let our faith carry us across the river Jordan to the Promised Land as we hear the Father say “Welcome Home”.

Breathe In The Sweet Smell of Heaven.

The Smell of Sacrifice

Ephesians 5:2 KJV

And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.

Philippians 4:18 KJV

But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God.

Hebrews 13:15 KJV

By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.

The Smell of Prayers

Psalm 141:2 KJV

Let my prayer be set forth before thee as incense; And the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.

Revelation 5:8 KJV

And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.

Revelation 8:3 KJV

And another angel came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne.

Listen to the Soul Stirring Sounds of Heaven.

Shouts of Praise

Isaiah 6:1–4 KJV

In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple. 

Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly. 

And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: The whole earth is full of his glory. 

And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.

Revelation 4:8–11 KJV

And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come. 

And when those beasts give glory and honour and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever, 

The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying, 

Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

The Song of the Redeemed

Revelation 5:9–14 KJV

And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; 

And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth. 

And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands; 

Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing. 

And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever. 

And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth for ever and ever.

Revelation 14:3 KJV

And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth.

Behold The Wonders of Heaven.

The Blood Stained Mercy Seat.

Hebrews 9:13–14 KJV

For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh: 

How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

The Mansion Prepared for You.

John 14:1–3 KJV

Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 

In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

The Saints Who Have Been Cheering You On.

Hebrews 12:1 KJV

Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

Our Sweet Savior – Finally Face to Face!

1 Corinthians 13:12 KJV

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Philippians 1:21–23 KJV

For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 

But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not. 

For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:

2 Corinthians 5:6–8 KJV

Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: 

(For we walk by faith, not by sight:) 

We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Colossians 3:4 KJV

When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

1 Thessalonians 4:14 KJV

For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

1 John 3:2 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

Dwight Moody was traveling by boat on one of the Great Lakes when a really bad storm developed. The other passengers on the boat cowered in fear. They even started an impromptu prayer meeting asking God to deliver them from the storm. Moody didn’t join in this prayer meeting. When asked why not, he answered with these words, “I have a sister in Chicago and one in heaven and I don’t care which I see tonight.”

No matter what trial you are facing or will face, if you are born again, it will fade to nothing the closer you draw to eternity. Through faith look forward to the sweet smell of Heavens prayers, the sweet sound of heavenly music and the sweet sight of Jesus’ face as he whispers… “Welcome Home”.

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 6:18 PM September 30, 2020.