Chew On The Works of God

Chew On The Works of God

Pastor Don Carpenter

Chew Your Cud / Creation; God’s Sovereignty; Grace Abounding; God’s Love / Psalm 77:12; Psalm 111:2; Psalm 143:5; Psalm 145:5; Psalm 8:1–9

Thomas Andrew Dorsey was a black jazz musician from Atlanta. In the twenties he gained a certain amount of notoriety as the composer of jazz tunes with suggestive lyrics, but he gave all that up in 1926 to concentrate exclusively on spiritual music. “Peace in the Valley” is one of his best known songs, but there is a story behind his most famous song that deserves to be told.

In 1932 the times were hard for Dorsey. Just trying to survive the depression years as a working musician meant tough sledding. On top of that, his music was not accepted by many people. Some said it was much too worldly-the devil’s music, they called it. Many years later Dorsey could laugh about it. He said, “I got kicked out of some of the best churches in the land.” But the real kick in the teeth came one night in St. Louis when he received a telegram informing him that his pregnant wife had died suddenly.

Dorsey was so filled with grief that his faith was shaken to the roots, but instead of wallowing in self-pity, he turned to the discipline he knew best-music. In the midst of agony he wrote the following lyrics:

Precious Lord, take my hand,

Lead me on, let me stand.

I am tired, I am weak, I am worn.

Through the storm, through the night,

Lead me on to the light;

Take my hand precious Lord, lead me home.

-If you live long enough, you will experience heartache, disappointment, and sheer helplessness. The Lord is our most precious resource in those hours of trauma. “The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble (Psalm 9:9). Tom Dorsey understood that. His song was originally written as a way of coping with his personal pain, but even today it continues to bless thousands of others when they pass through times of hardship.

_____

Last week we learned that thought control is vital for the believer. We learned that we are to take our thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ. We saw that meditation is like the cow chewing her cud. We are to go back to the same truth and mull it over and over in our minds, pulling new spiritual nutrients out of those thoughts.

Tonight we are going to start to study some of the different things we are to meditate about. Our verse tonight gives us a great starting point.  

Psalm 77:12 KJV

I will meditate also of all thy work, and talk of thy doings.

Meditate On ALL The Works of God.

Psalm 111:2–3 KJV

The works of the LORD are great, Sought out of all them that have pleasure therein. 

His work is honourable and glorious: And his righteousness endureth for ever.

• Develop a pleasure in His handiwork

Psalm 37:4 KJV

Delight thyself also in the LORD; And he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

• Seek out the works of God… look for His work in everything.

Psalms, Volume 3 Psalm 111

A man who loves God will have real pleasure in studying his works as well as his word; and it is as proper to find pleasure in the one as in the other,—as proper to wish to find the knowledge which the one imparts as that which the other bestows. One great error among the friends of God is the neglect to study his works. In doing this, men need not neglect or undervalue the Bible and the knowledge which it gives, for such studies would be among the best means of illustrating the Bible.

Meditate on the Splendor of Creation.

Psalm 143:5 KJV

I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands.

Psalm 19:1–2 KJV

The heavens declare the glory of God; And the firmament sheweth his handywork. 

Day unto day uttereth speech, And night unto night sheweth knowledge.

Outer Space Helps Us See The Immensity of God’s Handiwork.

Psalm 8:1 KJV

O LORD our Lord, How excellent is thy name in all the earth! Who hast set thy glory above the heavens.

Psalm 8:3 KJV

When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, The moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;

Creation Reminds Us of God’s Eternal Power and Godhead.

Romans 1:19–20 KJV

Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. 

For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Meditate Upon God’s Sovereign Control

Psalm 145:5–7 KJV

I will speak of the glorious honour of thy majesty, And of thy wondrous works. 

And men shall speak of the might of thy terrible acts: And I will declare thy greatness. 

They shall abundantly utter the memory of thy great goodness, And shall sing of thy righteousness.

God Turns Evil Intentions And Used Them For Good.

Genesis 50:20 KJV

But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.

God Has A Perfect Design For Believers.

Romans 8:28–29 KJV

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. 

For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

We Do Not Need To Understand What He Is Doing In Order To Trust Him.

Isaiah 55:7–11 KJV

Let the wicked forsake his way, And the unrighteous man his thoughts: And let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; And to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. 

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, Neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. 

For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are my ways higher than your ways, And my thoughts than your thoughts. 

For as the rain cometh down, And the snow from heaven, And returneth not thither, But watereth the earth, And maketh it bring forth and bud, That it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: 

So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: It shall not return unto me void, But it shall accomplish that which I please, And it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

Meditate On God’s Condescending Love

Psalm 8:3–4 KJV

When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, The moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; 

What is man, that thou art mindful of him? And the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Psalm 103:13–18 KJV

Like as a father pitieth his children, So the LORD pitieth them that fear him. 

For he knoweth our frame; He remembereth that we are dust. 

As for man, his days are as grass: As a flower of the field, so he flourisheth. 

For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; And the place thereof shall know it no more. 

But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, And his righteousness unto children’s children; 

To such as keep his covenant, And to those that remember his commandments to do them.

WHO AM I?

The German philosopher, Immanuel Kant, used to love to take long walks of a summer evening, meditating and thinking. On one occasion he was seated in a park when a suspicious policeman noticed that he had been there for several hours. The policeman came up to him and said, “What are you doing?”

The philosopher replied, “I’m thinking.”

The policeman said, “Who are you?”

Kant said, “That’s precisely the problem I’ve been thinking about. ‘Who am I?'”

It was this same philosopher who proposed that life could be reduced to four basic questions: What can I know? What ought I do? What may I hope? What is man, or who am I? We must wonder, in view of the vastness and majesty of His creation, why God would be mindful of and care for man. “What is man” in God’s eyes?

The answer is this:

John 3:16 KJV

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

God has done marvelous things!

• His Hand can be seen everywhere… look for it.

• His Hand can be seen in the skies… look for it.

• His Hand Can be seen in all of creation that the natural rules that govern it… look for it.

• His Hand can be seen in His sovereign workings throughout history… look for it.

• His Hand Can be seen when we consider His immensity and realize that He still loved man enough to send His Son to die for us while we were yet in our sins…

Chew on these wonderful works of God!

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 1:30 PM January 2, 2021.

Comments are closed.