The Mother of My Lord

The Mother of My Lord

Pastor Don Carpenter / General

Incarnation; Christ / Luke 1:31–35; Luke 1:41–45

We are all familiar with the Christmas story. Jesus our Savior was Born in a manger to Mary and Joseph. We celebrate His birth not only because He is our Savior who died and rose again, but also because He is the precious Son of God who somehow took on the form of man… the incarnation. Tonight we are going to look at the first time Mary and her cousin Elizabeth interacted with the truth of the incarnation. When Elizabeth, who was already carrying a miracle baby, John the Baptist, came in the presence of Mary who was pregnant with Jesus, she calls Mary “The Mother of My Lord.” Tonight we are going to look at what Gabriel told Mary about the Fruit of her womb. We will take a peek at the truths behind the reason Mary is called “The Mother of My Lord”.

He Shall Be Called Jesus

Luke 1:31 KJV

And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.

Matthew 1:21 KJV

And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Luke 1:46–47 KJV

And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, 

And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

He Shall Be Great

Luke 1:32 KJV

He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

Isaiah 9:6 KJV

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: And the government shall be upon his shoulder: And his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

He Shall Be Called Son of the Highest

Luke 1:32 KJV

He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

Luke 1:76 KJV

And thou, child, shalt be called the prophet of the Highest: For thou shalt go before the face of the Lord To prepare his ways;

He will be called the Son of the Most High (cf. v. 76). The Septuagint often used the term “Most High” (hypsistou) to translate the Hebrew ‘elyôn (cf. v. 76). Mary could not have missed the significance of that terminology. The fact that her Baby was to be called the “Son of the Most High” pointed to His equality with Yahweh. In Semitic thought a son was a “carbon copy” of his father, and the phrase “son of” was often used to refer to one who possessed his “father’s” qualities (e.g., the Heb. trans. “son of wickedness” in Ps. 89:22 [kjv] means a wicked person).1

1 John A. Martin, “Luke,” in The Bible Knowledge Commentary: An Exposition of the Scriptures, ed. J. F. Walvoord and R. B. Zuck, vol. 2 (Wheaton, IL: Victor Books, 1985), 205.

He Shall Be Called The Son of God

Luke 1:35 KJV

And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

His body was prepared for Him by the Spirit of God (Heb. 10:5) who “overshadowed” Mary. That word is applied to the presence of God in the holy of holies in the Jewish tabernacle and temple (Ex. 40:35). Mary’s womb became a holy of holies for the Son of God!1

1 Warren W. Wiersbe, The Bible Exposition Commentary, vol. 1 (Wheaton, IL: Victor Books, 1996), 172.

His Body Prepared for Him

Hebrews 10:5 KJV

Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:

Mary’s Body Prepared for Him

Exodus 40:35 KJV

And Moses was not able to enter into the tent of the congregation, because the cloud abode thereon, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle.

Jesus Remained Holy But Human

2 Corinthians 5:21 KJV

For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

1 Peter 2:22 KJV

Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:

1 John 3:5 KJV

And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

There are many mind blowing miracles wrapped up in the Christmas story. One of the sweetest is that God used a willing young virgin to be the Mother of my Lord. What are you willing to be for God?

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 5:59 PM December 16, 2020.

Comments are closed.