Empty Gestures

Empty Gestures

Pastor Don Carpenter

Worship: What’s Stopping You? / 1 Samuel 15:22; Isaiah 1:13; Ezekiel 33:31; Hosea 6:6; Matthew 6:5; 2 Timothy 3:5

The sin of the Pharisees was paying attention to outward demonstrations of piety for appearance’s sake rather than giving attention to inward obedience. This can be well illustrated by two eggs. One egg is a normal raw egg that, when placed under the palm of the hand and pressed evenly cannot be broken because of the structure of the egg itself. The second egg is exactly the same on the outside, but its insides have been removed. When it is placed under the same palm pressure, it breaks easily because it is internally weak. So, too, one who gives himself to the sin of the Pharisees is empty of substance and will eventually crack under pressure.

As we finish our study of hindrances to true Worship we are going to take a few minutes to think about the seduction of symbolism over substance. In May we will be continuing to examine the building blocks of Worship. We will not only how to be properly motivated to worship, but also how to Biblically express worship. This is where we can get messed up. As we see that shouting, dancing, loud instruments, crying, singing or standing silent in awe are all a part of worship, we can be tempted to do the worship things without actually worshipping. For the next few minutes let us identify things that can move us away from genuine worship.  Let us discover how we can reduce our worship to empty gestures.  

Worship is Empty Without Obedience

1 Samuel 15:18–22 KJV

And the LORD sent thee on a journey, and said, Go and utterly destroy the sinners the Amalekites, and fight against them until they be consumed. 

Wherefore then didst thou not obey the voice of the LORD, but didst fly upon the spoil, and didst evil in the sight of the LORD? 

And Saul said unto Samuel, Yea, I have obeyed the voice of the LORD, and have gone the way which the LORD sent me, and have brought Agag the king of Amalek, and have utterly destroyed the Amalekites. 

But the people took of the spoil, sheep and oxen, the chief of the things which should have been utterly destroyed, to sacrifice unto the LORD thy God in Gilgal. 

And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, As in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, And to hearken than the fat of rams.

Worship Is Empty Without Repentance

Isaiah 1:13–16 KJV

Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; The new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; It is iniquity, even the solemn meeting. 

Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: They are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them. 

And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: Yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: Your hands are full of blood. 

Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil;

Worship Is Empty Without Hearing AND Doing

Ezekiel 33:31 KJV

And they come unto thee as the people cometh, and they sit before thee as my people, and they hear thy words, but they will not do them: for with their mouth they shew much love, but their heart goeth after their covetousness.

James 1:22–24 KJV

But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. 

For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: 

For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.

Worship Is Empty Without Intimacy With God

Hosea 6:6 KJV

For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; And the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

Worship Is Empty If It Is Just For Show

Matthew 6:5 KJV

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 4:47 PM April 21, 2021.

Comments are closed.