The Heart of a Godly Leader

The Heart of a Godly Leader

Pastor Don Carpenter

2021 Bible Reading Challenge / 1 Kings 3:5–15

One morning the young new president of a bank made an appointment with his predecessor to seek some advice. He began, “Sir, as you well know, I lack a great deal of the qualifications you already have for this job. You have been very successful as president of this bank, and I wondered if you would be kind enough to share with me some of the insights you have gained from your years here that have been the keys to your success.”

The older man looked at him with a stare and replied: “Young man, two words: good decisions.”

The young man responded, “Thank you very much, sir, but how does one come to know which is the good decision?”

“One word, young man: experience.”

“But how does one get experience?”

“Two words, young man: bad decisions.

Often it takes the pain of trial and error in order to gain wisdom. What if you could get the wisdom without having to endure the errors? Would you desire wisdom like that if it were offered to you?

If a miracle was to happen, and you could have what your heart desires the most, what would it be? If the miracle happened while you were sleeping this evening, how would you know that it did when you woke up? Ponder these answers in your heart. Everyone will have a different answer. These answers will help us discover what we view to be the most important things in our lives.

God asked David’s son, Solomon, the new King of Israel, this kind of question. God gave Solomon a blank check of blessing and let him fill it in. The young king could have asked for anything. His answer revealed much about his heart. Tonight we will study this answer and see what lies in the heart of a Godly leader.

Humility

1 Kings 3:6–7 KJV

And Solomon said, Thou hast shewed unto thy servant David my father great mercy, according as he walked before thee in truth, and in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart with thee; and thou hast kept for him this great kindness, that thou hast given him a son to sit on his throne, as it is this day. 

And now, O LORD my God, thou hast made thy servant king instead of David my father: and I am but a little child: I know not how to go out or come in.

A. Acknowledge God’s mercy – you did not get what you deserved.

B. Acknowledge God’s kindness

1. That protects you from evil

2. That provides you with blessings

C. Acknowledge your own weakness.

1. Do not count on your own strength.

1 Corinthians 1:26–29 KJV

For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 

But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 

And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 

That no flesh should glory in his presence.

2. Be aware of your own frailty.

James 4:7–10 KJV

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 

Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. 

Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. 

Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Matthew 18:4 KJV

Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

A man approached a speaker and said, “You Christians are all brainwashed.” The speaker replied, “I think we are all brainwashed to a degree. The important thing is that we Christians choose what we want to wash our brains with.”

Accountability

1 Kings 3:8 KJV

And thy servant is in the midst of thy people which thou hast chosen, a great people, that cannot be numbered nor counted for multitude.

A. These are God’s chosen people.

B. You are accountable to God for these people.

Acts 20:26–27 KJV

Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men. 

For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.

1 Corinthians 4:1–4 KJV

Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God. 

Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful. 

But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man’s judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self. 

For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.

An ancient Persian proverb offers the following excellent advice on developing leaders.

He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not is a fool—shun him.

He who knows not, and knows that he knows not is a child—teach him.

He who knows, and knows not that he knows is asleep—wake him.

He who knows, and knows that he knows is wise—follow him.750

Total Dependence

1 Kings 3:9 KJV

Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people?

A. Cry out to God for what you need.

1. Wisdom

James 1:5 KJV

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

2. Boldness

Acts 4:29 KJV

And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word,

Ephesians 6:18 KJV

Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

B. God blesses the selfless servant.

1 Kings 3:10–14 KJV

And the speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon had asked this thing. 

And God said unto him, Because thou hast asked this thing, and hast not asked for thyself long life; neither hast asked riches for thyself, nor hast asked the life of thine enemies; but hast asked for thyself understanding to discern judgment; 

Behold, I have done according to thy words: lo, I have given thee a wise and an understanding heart; so that there was none like thee before thee, neither after thee shall any arise like unto thee. 

And I have also given thee that which thou hast not asked, both riches, and honour: so that there shall not be any among the kings like unto thee all thy days. 

And if thou wilt walk in my ways, to keep my statutes and my commandments, as thy father David did walk, then I will lengthen thy days.

1. Gives you what you ask for in order to serve Him better.

2. Adds extra blessing when your heart is in the right place.

Philippians 2:1–4 KJV

If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, 

Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. 

Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. 

Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

An important rule of leadership “Don’t allow the patient to prescribe the medicine.”

C. Always remember the price that was paid for your sins – don’t get too proud.

1 Kings 3:15 KJV

And Solomon awoke; and, behold, it was a dream. And he came to Jerusalem, and stood before the ark of the covenant of the LORD, and offered up burnt offerings, and offered peace offerings, and made a feast to all his servants.

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 4:51 PM April 19, 2021.

Comments are closed.