The Path to Bold Humility

The Path to Bold Humility

Pastor Don Carpenter

2021 Bible Reading Challenge

Psalm 19:13 KJV
Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; Let them not have dominion over me: Then shall I be upright, And I shall be innocent from the great transgression.

What in the world is a presumptuous sin? And why was David so intent on avoiding it specifically.

Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary (Eleventh Edition) Presumptuous

pre•sump•tu•ous \pri-?z?m(p)-ch?-w?s, -ch?s, -sh?s\ adjective
[Middle English, from Anglo-French presumptious, from Late Latin praesumptuosus, irregular from praesumptio] 14th century: overstepping due bounds

So to be presumptuous is to cross boundaries. It is to take too much on or to be too bold… to act like you have the right to things and to expect things that you do not have the right to expect. Our passage today tells us of a terrible mistake that King David makes as a leader, the price that someone under his leadership paid, and the path back to restoration. You see David found that his presumption came from pride and once he humbled himself, he found immense relief. Then he was not going back to that proud place, David became bold in his humility.

Pride Leads to Presumption

2 Samuel 6:1–5 KJV
Again, David gathered together all the chosen men of Israel, thirty thousand.

And David arose, and went with all the people that were with him from Baale of Judah, to bring up from thence the ark of God, whose name is called by the name of the LORD of hosts that dwelleth between the cherubims.

And they set the ark of God upon a new cart, and brought it out of the house of Abinadab that was in Gibeah: and Uzzah and Ahio, the sons of Abinadab, drave the new cart.

And they brought it out of the house of Abinadab which was at Gibeah, accompanying the ark of God: and Ahio went before the ark.

And David and all the house of Israel played before the LORD on all manner of instruments made of fir wood, even on harps, and on psalteries, and on timbrels, and on cornets, and on cymbals.

The Bible Knowledge Commentary 6:1–5

6:1–5. For 100 long years the ark of the covenant had been separated from the tabernacle and other places of worship. After its capture by the Philistines at Aphek (1 Sam. 4:11) it remained in Philistia for seven months, then briefly at Beth Shemesh, and the rest of the time at Kiriath Jearim. Now David had taken Jerusalem, a neutral place, and made it the political capital of the kingdom. All that remained was to retrieve the ark, place it in the tabernacle he would erect on Mount Zion, and declare Jerusalem the religious center of the nation as well.
David first went with 30,000 men to Baalah of Judah (the same as Kiriath Jearim; Josh. 15:9) to bring the ark from the house of Abinadab, its custodian. Described as that which bore the name of God Himself, the ark represented the presence of God who dwelled among His people in a special way (cf. Ex. 25:22). As such, it was to be handled with reverence, even in its transportation from place to place. The Law specified that it be carried by Levites who would bear it on their shoulders by means of poles passed through gold rings attached to the ark (Ex. 25:14; cf. Num. 4:15, 20). Even the Levites could not touch the ark or even look in it because of its holiness. Why David overlooked these requirements it is impossible to know, but he and Uzzah and Ahio, two descendants of Abinadab, placed the ark on a cart and proceeded, with great musical celebration, toward Jerusalem. The use of musical instruments (2 Sam. 6:5) was common in Israel’s worship as may be seen, for example, in Psalm 150 where most of the same instruments are listed.

Exodus 25:14 KJV
And thou shalt put the staves into the rings by the sides of the ark, that the ark may be borne with them.

Numbers 4:15 KJV
And when Aaron and his sons have made an end of covering the sanctuary, and all the vessels of the sanctuary, as the camp is to set forward; after that, the sons of Kohath shall come to bear it: but they shall not touch any holy thing, lest they die. These things are the burden of the sons of Kohath in the tabernacle of the congregation.

Numbers 4:20 KJV
But they shall not go in to see when the holy things are covered, lest they die.

Presumption Leads to Punishment and Fear

2 Samuel 6:6–11 KJV
And when they came to Nachon’s threshingfloor, Uzzah put forth his hand to the ark of God, and took hold of it; for the oxen shook it.

And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Uzzah; and God smote him there for his error; and there he died by the ark of God.

And David was displeased, because the LORD had made a breach upon Uzzah: and he called the name of the place Perez-uzzah to this day.

And David was afraid of the LORD that day, and said, How shall the ark of the LORD come to me?

So David would not remove the ark of the LORD unto him into the city of David: but David carried it aside into the house of Obed-edom the Gittite.

And the ark of the LORD continued in the house of Obed-edom the Gittite three months: and the LORD blessed Obed-edom, and all his household.

The Bible Knowledge Commentary 6:6–11
6:6–11. Along the way they passed over a rough outcropping of stone, a threshing place belonging to Nacon (or Kidon; 1 Chron. 13:9), and the oxen stumbled, threatening to throw the ark from the cart. Instinctively Uzzah, one of the attendants, laid hold of the ark to prevent its fall, an act of irreverence that cost him his life. The harshness of the LORD‘s discipline must be seen in the light of His absolute holiness which requires that sacred tasks be done in a sacred manner (cf. comments on 1 Sam. 6:19–7:2). Since God had broken out (p?ra?) in wrath on Uzzah, David named that place Perez (“outbreak against”) Uzzah. David learned his lesson. He would not move the ark again until the Lord gave him instruction. It remained, therefore, in the house of Obed-Edom the Gittite (a native of Gath) for three months.

Punishment Leads to Humility

Sacrifice Seeking Forgiveness.

2 Samuel 6:12–13 KJV
And it was told king David, saying, The LORD hath blessed the house of Obed-edom, and all that pertaineth unto him, because of the ark of God. So David went and brought up the ark of God from the house of Obed-edom into the city of David with gladness.

And it was so, that when they that bare the ark of the LORD had gone six paces, he sacrificed oxen and fatlings.

Celebration of Humble Praise

2 Samuel 6:14–15 KJV
And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.

So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the LORD with shouting, and with the sound of the trumpet.

Humility Becomes Bold

Passionate and Humble Worship is Disdained by Whose Who do not Practice it.

2 Samuel 6:16 KJV
And as the ark of the LORD came into the city of David, Michal Saul’s daughter looked through a window, and saw king David leaping and dancing before the LORD; and she despised him in her heart.

Those who do Celebrate With You.

2 Samuel 6:17–19 KJV
And they brought in the ark of the LORD, and set it in his place, in the midst of the tabernacle that David had pitched for it: and David offered burnt offerings and peace offerings before the LORD.

And as soon as David had made an end of offering burnt offerings and peace offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the LORD of hosts.

And he dealt among all the people, even among the whole multitude of Israel, as well to the women as men, to every one a cake of bread, and a good piece of flesh, and a flagon of wine. So all the people departed every one to his house.

Humility Wrought In The Crucible of Chastisement Will Remain Bold.

2 Samuel 6:20–23 KJV
Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, How glorious was the king of Israel to day, who uncovered himself to day in the eyes of the handmaids of his servants, as one of the vain fellows shamelessly uncovereth himself!

And David said unto Michal, It was before the LORD, which chose me before thy father, and before all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel: therefore will I play before the LORD.

And I will yet be more vile than thus, and will be base in mine own sight: and of the maidservants which thou hast spoken of, of them shall I be had in honour.

Therefore Michal the daughter of Saul had no child unto the day of her death.

I Samuel to Esther Chapter 6
The speech might be paraphrased, Before the Lord which chose me, &c., yea, before the Lord have I danced. He humbles Michal’s pride by the allusion to her father’s rejection, and shows by Saul’s example how little pride contributes to the stability of greatness. Therefore for his part he will not think anything done for the glory of God too mean for him; and if he cannot have honour from Saul’s daughter, he will be content to be honoured by the maid-servants.

Barnes

In 1863 President Lincoln designated April 30th as a day of national humiliation, fasting, and prayer. Let me read a portion of his proclamation on that occasion:

“It is the duty of nations, as well as of men, who owe their dependence upon the overruling power of God, to confess their sins and transgressions in humble sorrow, yet with assured hope that genuine repentance will lead to mercy and pardon, and to recognize the sublime truth announced in the Holy Scriptures and proven by a history that those nations only are blessed whose God is the Lord. The awful calamity of civil war which now desolates the land may be but a punishment inflicted upon us for our presumptuous sins, to the needful end of our national reformation as a whole people. Intoxicated with unbroken success, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us. We have grown in numbers, wealth, and power as no other nation has grown, but we have forgotten God.”

We are not smarter than God. Let us never presume to do things “better” than He has laid out in His book. When we deviate from God’s written will, people who are under our influence will suffer. Thank God, that He loves us enough to correct us. He will not allow our pride to fester unchecked. Once we surrender, we feel the immense relief of forgiven sin and restored relationships. It will be natural to passionately worship. Yes, some may mock, but God does not! Therefore be bold in your humility!

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 2:36 PM April 14, 2021.

Comments are closed.