Archive for November 17th, 2021

The Shout of Praise

Wednesday, November 17th, 2021

The Shout of Praise

Pastor Don Carpenter

Holy Roar: 7 Words That Will Change The Way You Worship

Pastor Darren Whitehead tells the following story:

Brandy and I started our family in the shadow of the windy city, and though it was a great place and we were part of an amazing church, over time, we felt God calling us to contend for the future of the American church. We felt led to give the next several decades of our lives to the next generation, to plant a new church in a new city. Which city? That minor detail wasn’t quite so clear.

During a time of family prayer, I told our daughters we were considering leaving Chicago to plant a church. They asked the normal questions: Where? When? We told them we didn’t know, but we declared our trust in God. We’d go wherever he sent us. And in the meantime, as crazy as it all seemed, we’d praise him for what he’d do.

Weeks later, we put our house on the market. Our neighbors asked the same questions: Where are you moving? When? I didn’t know, I told them, but we were sure God would lead us. And in the meantime, we’d praise him.

We sold the house within months, and as the moving company loaded our boxes, they asked where we were moving. I told them, too, that I didn’t know.

Honestly, I felt like a madman, unsure where this trust in God would take us. Brandy and I were stepping out, declaring our faith in both our actions and words, and we were giving our children a front row seat to the madness.

Ultimately, God made his plan for our family clear, and we moved to Nashville, Tennessee. We learned that Nashville is home to more than one hundred thousand college students with 60 percent choosing to stay in the area after graduation.

Our children joined us in this journey of uncertainty and faith. They’ve seen how God led and provided for us, how he’s done so many miraculous things in our lives. They’ve seen how we’ve raised a shout of praise for everything he’s done. And it’s my hope that when they’re adults, when they’re making their own decisions, they’ll remember those shouts of praise. It’s my hope that when culture shouts at them, when it asks them to reject their faith and to conform, they’ll drown out those siren songs with their own declarations of faith, trust, and praise. It’s my hope that they’ll raise a shâbach.

Shâbach, our final Hebrew word of praise, means to address in a loud tone, to shout, to commend, to glory, or to declare triumph. Quite literally, it means to raise a holy roar. The word is used sparsely in the Old Testament, a mere eleven times, but each time, it has powerful effect. 

Shout In Spite of Circumstances

Psalm 63:1–4 (KJV)

O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: My soul thirsteth for thee, My flesh longeth for thee In a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; 

To see thy power and thy glory, So as I have seen thee in the sanctuary. 

Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, My lips shall praise thee. 

Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.

Psalm 106:47 (KJV)

Save us, O LORD our God, And gather us from among the heathen, To give thanks unto thy holy name, And to triumph in thy praise.

Psalm 71:23 KJV

My lips shall greatly rejoice when I sing unto thee; And my soul, which thou hast redeemed.

Shout Among the Nations

Psalm 117:1–2 KJV

O praise the LORD, all ye nations: Praise him, all ye people. 

For his merciful kindness is great toward us: And the truth of the LORD endureth for ever. Praise ye the LORD.

Holy Roar: 7 Words That Will Change The Way You Worship BEHIND THE MUSIC

This shout of praise, this shâbach, is not simply a personal declaration though. The shortest psalm, Psalm 117, calls all nations to raise a holy roar.

The most vivid “cultural shâbach” that I have ever seen happened recently. It was a gathering of more than five million people. It was reported as the seventh largest gathering in human history. At one point, that crowd gave a full-bodied, full-volume shout at the top of their lungs. It was a thunderous sonic boom. It was a unified colossal roar.

The location? Hutchinson Field in Grant Park in downtown Chicago. The occasion? The Chicago Cubs winning the Major League Baseball World Series.

As a former resident of Chicago, I can appreciate how Cubs fans have lamented 108 years without a World Series victory. Entire generations of Chicagoans have been born, grown up next to Wrigley Field, lived long lives, and died without ever seeing the Cubs win it all. This was a shout that represented a century of pent-up anticipation and disappointment.

This corporate celebration, this shout, gives us the clearest image of shâbach. Every time we gather with God’s people to praise him, one voice unites with another. Songs become anthems. Anthems become declarations. Declarations become a holy roar.

Psalm 98:4 KJV

Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: Make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.

Psalm 66:1–2 KJV

Make a joyful noise unto God, all ye lands: 

Sing forth the honour of his name: Make his praise glorious.

Shout From One Generation to the Next

Psalm 145:4 (KJV)

One generation shall praise thy works to another, And shall declare thy mighty acts.

Holy Roar: 7 Words That Will Change The Way You Worship BEHIND THE MUSIC

The holy roar of praise is not self-contained, not just for a particular people in a particular space. It’s not praise for the purpose of pumping up the present crowd. It’s for the purpose of passing on the faith from one generation to the next. The next generation, the future church, is waiting for the sound of shâbach.

The shout of praise needs your voice. Join the holy roar.

Psalm 147:11–14 (KJV)

The LORD taketh pleasure in them that fear him, In those that hope in his mercy. 

Praise the LORD, O Jerusalem; Praise thy God, O Zion. 

For he hath strengthened the bars of thy gates; He hath blessed thy children within thee. 

He maketh peace in thy borders, And filleth thee with the finest of the wheat.

Praise Was Not Optional For David – We Should Follow His Passion.

Psalm 119:164 KJV

Seven times a day do I praise thee Because of thy righteous judgments.

Holy Roar: 7 Words That Will Change The Way You Worship Conclusion: The Practice of Praise

No matter where he was, who he was with, or what he had to do, he made space to praise God. And if David were to walk into your modern life, if he were to visit you in the coffee shop, or climb into your cherry-red Mazda RX-7, what would you observe about his praise practices? You might note how he’d stop midconversation and ask for a moment to offer praise to God. He might fall on his knees, or raise his hand, or shout right there in the coffee shop: “God, you are so good!” It wouldn’t be a onetime practice. Seven times a day you’d experience this kind of interruption from David. He’d ask you to pull over so he could kneel on the side of the road. He’d ask you to drive him to the church building so he could offer some new song of praise. Your friends might look at him as if he were crazy, might ask you why your friend David was always dancing or kneeling or shouting or singing in praise. You’d shrug your shoulders and look to him. He’d just laugh and say, “You think this is abnormal? ‘I will become even more undignified than this because of what God has done for me. He’s set me free!” (see 2 Samuel 6:22). 

David, the king of all of Israel, the great unifier of the people—we could all learn so much from his indignities.

Holy Roar: 7 Words That Will Change The Way You Worship Conclusion: The Practice of Praise

The seven Hebrew words of praise—yâdâh, hâlal, zâmar, tôwdâh, bârak, tehillâh, and shâbach—have changed the way I enter God’s courts. In them, I’ve found complete freedom to express my praise to God. My guess is, if you explore the depths of these words, if you take them to heart, you’ll find that freedom too, and you’ll become a living expression of praise. 

Come with us on this unifying journey of praise.

Join the shâbach of God’s people.

Become a part of the holy roar.

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 6:30 PM November 17, 2021.