Archive for November 16th, 2021

Divine Intervention

Tuesday, November 16th, 2021

Divine Intervention

Pastor Don Carpenter

2021 Bible Reading Challenge / Acts 12:1–5

DEFINE MIRACLE

A miracle is a divine intervention into, or interruption of, the regular course of the world that produces a purposeful but unusual event that would not have occurred otherwise(Geisler).

Scholar, William Lane Craig gives us an even more simple definition:

A miracle is an event which is not producible by the natural causes that are operative at the time and place that the event occurs.

SOURCE: Norman Geisler and Ron Brooks, When Skeptics Ask: A Handbook on Christian Evidences (Wheaton, IL: Victor Books, 1990), 79. Lee Strobel, The Case for Faith (Grand Rapids: Zondervan Pub. House, 2000), 62

___

Tonight we are going to take a simple look at the concept of Divine Intervention. When God gets involved, often the natural course of events change abruptly. God intervenes and the entire universe must bend to His will.

God Gets Involved When The Church Prays

Things Looked Bad For Peter

Acts 12:1–4 KJV

Now about that time Herod the king stretched forth his hands to vex certain of the church. 

And he killed James the brother of John with the sword. 

And because he saw it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to take Peter also. (Then were the days of unleavened bread.) 

And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

BUT PRAYER WAS MADE

Acts 12:5 (KJV)

Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.

Deliverance Came

Acts 12:6–12 KJV

And when Herod would have brought him forth, the same night Peter was sleeping between two soldiers, bound with two chains: and the keepers before the door kept the prison. 

And, behold, the angel of the Lord came upon him, and a light shined in the prison: and he smote Peter on the side, and raised him up, saying, Arise up quickly. And his chains fell off from his hands. 

And the angel said unto him, Gird thyself, and bind on thy sandals. And so he did. And he saith unto him, Cast thy garment about thee, and follow me. 

And he went out, and followed him; and wist not that it was true which was done by the angel; but thought he saw a vision. 

When they were past the first and the second ward, they came unto the iron gate that leadeth unto the city; which opened to them of his own accord: and they went out, and passed on through one street; and forthwith the angel departed from him. 

And when Peter was come to himself, he said, Now I know of a surety, that the Lord hath sent his angel, and hath delivered me out of the hand of Herod, and from all the expectation of the people of the Jews. 

And when he had considered the thing, he came to the house of Mary the mother of John, whose surname was Mark; where many were gathered together praying.

Matthew 18:19 KJV

Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

God Gets Involved When His People Pray

Dorcas Died

Acts 9:36–40 KJV

Now there was at Joppa a certain disciple named Tabitha, which by interpretation is called Dorcas: this woman was full of good works and almsdeeds which she did. 

And it came to pass in those days, that she was sick, and died: whom when they had washed, they laid her in an upper chamber. 

And forasmuch as Lydda was nigh to Joppa, and the disciples had heard that Peter was there, they sent unto him two men, desiring him that he would not delay to come to them. 

Then Peter arose and went with them. When he was come, they brought him into the upper chamber: and all the widows stood by him weeping, and shewing the coats and garments which Dorcas made, while she was with them. 

But Peter put them all forth, and kneeled down, and prayed; and turning him to the body said, Tabitha, arise. And she opened her eyes: and when she saw Peter, she sat up.

BUT PETER PRAYED

Acts 9:40–41 KJV

But Peter put them all forth, and kneeled down, and prayed; and turning him to the body said, Tabitha, arise. And she opened her eyes: and when she saw Peter, she sat up. 

And he gave her his hand, and lifted her up, and when he had called the saints and widows, presented her alive.

Prayer Is Available For All Believers

James 5:16–18 KJV

Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. 

Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months. 

And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit.

God Gets Involved When His Son Prays

Satan Desired To Destroy Peter

Luke 22:31 KJV

And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:

BUT JESUS PRAYED

Luke 22:32 (KJV)

But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

John 17:9–11 KJV

I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine. 

And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them. 

And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

Jesus Prayed For You Too!

John 17:15–21 KJV

I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. 

They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 

Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. 

As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. 

And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth. 

Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; 

That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

This week when the course of events seem to be headed in a perilous direction, remember that all of creation must comply to the will of God. Drop to your knees, tell daddy what is going on and your story too will change with the narrative, but prayer was made!

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 7:22 PM November 16, 2021.