Archive for May, 2021

Remember – Part One

Thursday, May 27th, 2021

Remember – Part One

Pastor Don Carpenter

Psalm 103:2

REMEMBER ME – a letter from the American Flag

Lately I have become concerned about the people I represent. I no longer see the Pride in your eyes that I once seen when I traveled down your streets in the Veterans Day parades and on the 4th of July. The people that once saluted me and those that held their hand over their heart as I passed now just look around to see what others are doing.

Could it be that they don’t see me? This is what it must be, because I haven’t changed. I am still the same flag that accompanied so many of our countrymen as they defended this great country. As I wave in the breeze I am waving for each and ever one of them. I represent the people of this country and not the disappointment you may have with our Government. I have never had a vote in anything. I stand for the freedom that the people have given to this country.

You are the heroes, not the Government. You are the ones that go to work each day and do what is necessary to see that the children have clothes and shoes and plenty of food.

That is why I call you heroes. This is the spirit that I represent. This is why I was created, as a constant reminder to the people of American that with pride in our country and a strong belief in God we can overcome any obstacle that is put in our path. We are still the greatest country in the world. WE ARE AMERICA.

So the next time you pass by me just give me a wink or allow a glimmer of pride or just a simple wave to let all the soldiers that have died so you can live free and I can fly free will know that their sacrifice was not in vain.

Your Flag

___

America is facing some troubling and dangerous times. We have faced challenges in the past for sure but one that looms dark on our horizon is cancel culture. There is an effort to ignore and perhaps even re-write our history. It is an effort to characterize this great nation founded on Godly principles as an evil tyrannical force that must be completely dismantled and rebuilt. The older I get the more I hear myself saying, “This is not the nation I remember”.

Thank God for Memorial Day! This is a time when we are forced to take a break from life and remember! I will tell you that I really struggled with what to preach today. I have seen otherwise like minded believers go careening off into the dark and extrabiblical realm of conspiracy theories and mark of the beast metaphors. I have heard preachers that I love calling for God’s people to unite in prayer and pray that political opponents be put in front of firing squads so that we can “Have our country back”. So I genuinely wrestled with how to approach this holiday. Do I out my brethren for such extrabiblical rants? Do I launch some rants of my own about the precarious position our historic freedom finds itself? God moved me to get away from the rhetoric an back to the Bible.

Memorial Day is about remembering. We remember the Fallen, the cost of Freedom, and the responsibility we have to be good stewards of the freedom we have been allowed by God to enjoy.

The word “remember” is used 207 times in the King James Bible. God has a lot to say about making sure we do not forget certain things. As I explored scriptures, my heart was stirred by the emphasis placed upon our responsibility to remember.  So both this morning and this evening, we are going to dig deep and learn to reflect on purpose… to take the time to remember.

Remember That You Were Once A Slave

As A Nation

Deuteronomy 5:15 KJV

And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day.

Deuteronomy 15:15 KJV

And thou shalt remember that thou wast a bondman in the land of Egypt, and the LORD thy God redeemed thee: therefore I command thee this thing to day.

Deuteronomy 16:12 KJV

And thou shalt remember that thou wast a bondman in Egypt: and thou shalt observe and do these statutes.

As A Sinner

Revelation 2:5 KJV

Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Remember What God Did To Pharaoh

Deuteronomy 7:18 KJV

Thou shalt not be afraid of them: but shalt well remember what the LORD thy God did unto Pharaoh, and unto all Egypt;

Remember God’s Leading

Deuteronomy 8:2 KJV

And thou shalt remember all the way which the LORD thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments, or no.

Psalm 106:7 KJV

Our fathers understood not thy wonders in Egypt; They remembered not the multitude of thy mercies; But provoked him at the sea, even at the Red sea.

Remember God’s Power

Psalm 105:5 KJV

Remember his marvellous works that he hath done; His wonders, and the judgments of his mouth;

Psalm 111:4 KJV

He hath made his wonderful works to be remembered: The LORD is gracious and full of compassion.

Remember God’s Empowerment

Deuteronomy 8:18 KJV

But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.

1 Chronicles 16:12 KJV

Remember his marvellous works that he hath done, His wonders, and the judgments of his mouth;

Nehemiah 4:14 KJV

And I looked, and rose up, and said unto the nobles, and to the rulers, and to the rest of the people, Be not ye afraid of them: remember the Lord, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses.

Remember the Days of Old

Deuteronomy 32:7 KJV

Remember the days of old, Consider the years of many generations: Ask thy father, and he will shew thee; Thy elders, and they will tell thee.

Psalm 77:11 KJV

I will remember the works of the LORD: Surely I will remember thy wonders of old.

Psalm 143:5 KJV

I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands.

Remember the Day of Liberation

Exodus 13:3 KJV

And Moses said unto the people, Remember this day, in which ye came out from Egypt, out of the house of bondage; for by strength of hand the LORD brought you out from this place: there shall no leavened bread be eaten.

Esther 9:20–28 KJV

And Mordecai wrote these things, and sent letters unto all the Jews that were in all the provinces of the king Ahasuerus, both nigh and far, 

To stablish this among them, that they should keep the fourteenth day of the month Adar, and the fifteenth day of the same, yearly, 

As the days wherein the Jews rested from their enemies, and the month which was turned unto them from sorrow to joy, and from mourning into a good day: that they should make them days of feasting and joy, and of sending portions one to another, and gifts to the poor. 

And the Jews undertook to do as they had begun, and as Mordecai had written unto them; 

Because Haman the son of Hammedatha, the Agagite, the enemy of all the Jews, had devised against the Jews to destroy them, and had cast Pur, that is, the lot, to consume them, and to destroy them; 

But when Esther came before the king, he commanded by letters that his wicked device, which he devised against the Jews, should return upon his own head, and that he and his sons should be hanged on the gallows. 

Wherefore they called these days Purim after the name of Pur. Therefore for all the words of this letter, and of that which they had seen concerning this matter, and which had come unto them, 

The Jews ordained, and took upon them, and upon their seed, and upon all such as joined themselves unto them, so as it should not fail, that they would keep these two days according to their writing, and according to their appointed time every year; 

And that these days should be remembered and kept throughout every generation, every family, every province, and every city; and that these days of Purim should not fail from among the Jews, nor the memorial of them perish from their seed.

• Noah’s Memorial was an Ark.

• Abraham’s Memorials was found in his altars.

• Isaac’s Memorials flowed from his wells.

• Moses’ Memorial was the Law (which included the Tabernacle and it’s furnishings).

• Caleb’s Memorial was a mountain discovered in his youth but captured in his old age.

• David’s Memorial was a God-sized heart.

• Nehemiah’s Memorial was a rebuilt wall.

• Zerubabel’s Memorial was a rebuilt Temple.

• Jeremiah’s Memorial was a river of tears that flowed from his head.

Let us stand strong and loud. Let us remind the next generation of who God is and what He has done. Let us Remember!

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 6:33 PM May 27, 2021.

Military Pictures

Thursday, May 6th, 2021

Barbara Kizzia is looking for photos of military members – both active duty and veterans – for a very special Memorial Day bulletin board.  Effort will be made to return the pictures to you, but for precious photos, it is recommended that you give her a copy of the photo instead.  Please have the pictures to her no later than  May 23rd.

A Mother’s Love

Thursday, May 6th, 2021

A Mother’s Love

Pastor Don Carpenter

Mother’s Day / Isaiah 49:15; Isaiah 66:13; Proverbs 31:26

Barbara Weiser of Kewanee, Illinois recalls this converstation with her daughter when she was six:

“Mom, there are five things I want to be when I grow up.”

“Oh, yeah? What are they?”

“I’m going to be a model, a movie star, a traveler and travel all around the world, and an artist and a singer.”

“What about a mom?”

“I don’t know… I think that’s too hard for me.” Being a mother is hard.

___

Today we celebrate mothers and motherhood because of the virtue that is naturally exhibited by a mother. Her love, endurance, grace and wisdom toward her children exceeds normal relationships.  God has such a high view of the passion a mother has that He compares His love for His children to the bond between mom and child. This morning, let us give thanks for a Mother’s Love.

A Mother Will Have Compassion

Isaiah 49:15 KJV

Can a woman forget her sucking child, That she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? Yea, they may forget, Yet will I not forget thee.

A Compassion That Shows Mercy

racham (??????, 7355), “to have compassion, be merciful, pity.” The words from this root are found 125 times in all parts of the Old Testament. The root is also found in Assyrian, Ethiopic, and Aramaic.

The verb is translated “love” once: “I will love thee, O Lord …” (Ps. 18:1). Racham is also used in God’s promise to declare His name to Moses: “I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy” (Exod. 33:19). So men pray: “Remember, O Lord, thy tender mercies and thy loving-kindnesses” (Ps. 25:6); and Isaiah prophesies messianic restoration: “… With great mercies will I gather thee.… But with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the Lord thy Redeemer” (Isa. 54:7–8). This is the heart of salvation by the suffering Servant-Messiah.1

1 W. E. Vine, Merrill F. Unger, and William White Jr., Vine’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words (Nashville, TN: T. Nelson, 1996), 43.

A Compassion That Shows Tenderness

Can a woman forget her sucking child? The design of this verse is apparent. It is to show that the love which God has for his people is stronger than that which is produced by the most tender ties created by any natural relation. The love of a mother for her infant child is the strongest attachment in nature. The question here implies that it was unusual for a mother to be unmindful of that tie, and to forsake the child that she should nourish and love.

That she should not have compassion. That she should not pity and succour it in times of sickness and distress; that she should see it suffer without any attempt to relieve it, and turn away, and see it die unpitied and unalleviated.

Yea, they may forget. They will sooner forget their child than God will forget his afflicted and suffering people. The phrase ‘they may forget,’ implies that such a thing may occur. In heathen lands, strong as is the instinct which binds a mother to her offspring, it has not been uncommon for a mother to expose her infant child, and to leave it to die. In illustration of this fact, see Notes on Rom. 1:31.1

1 Albert Barnes, Notes on the Old Testament: Isaiah, vol. 2 (London: Blackie & Son, 1851), 210–211.

A Compassion That Shows A Permanent Bond

God uses the strongest images of personal attachment to protest that he has not forgotten or forsaken Zion. He asks a rhetorical question concerning mothers and their attachments to the children they have borne in their wombs and nursed at their breasts. Can mothers forget? The assumed answer is, “Of course not!” The attachment of fathers may be obstructed by the sense of distance that exists between father and child. After all, the child has never drawn its life from the father’s body either in the womb or after. But the attachment of a mother and child is direct, and thus almost mystical.

Oswalt, J. N. (1998). The Book of Isaiah, Chapters 40–66 (pp. 305–306). Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.

A Mother Will Comfort

Isaiah 66:13 KJV

As one whom his mother comforteth, so will I comfort you; And ye shall be comforted in Jerusalem.

She Will Sigh Along With Her Child

Compare chapters 40 and 61 for God’s plan and design for His people. The Hebrew word translated “comfort” in this verse is from a root meaning “to sigh!” It might be rendered, “As one whom his mother sighs with, so will I sigh with you.” We know how a loving mother enters into the sufferings of her children. Taking the little one in her arms she sighs with him as he sobs out his grief upon her bosom. So does God feel for us in our trials. Of old He said concerning Israel when they were in Egyptian bondage, “I have surely seen the affliction of My people … I know their sorrows; and am come to deliver them.” He is ever the same in His concern for His afflicted children. His great heart of love is moved with compassion as He beholds the ravages that sin has made and the sufferings that it has entailed upon all mankind. Yet we are so slow to refer our troubles to Him, thinking of Him as a stern Judge rather than a tender, loving Father.1

1 H. A. Ironside, Expository Notes on the Prophet Isaiah. (Neptune, NJ: Loizeaux Brothers, 1952), 367.

She Will Help Her Child Choose A Different Path.

Nacham may also mean “to comfort.” The refugees in Babylon would be “comforted” when survivors arrived from Jerusalem (Ezek. 14:23); the connection between “comfort” and “repent” here resulted from the calamity God brought upon Jerusalem as a testimony to the truth of His Word. David “comforted” Bathsheba after the death of her child born in sin (2 Sam. 12:24); this probably indicates his repentance of what had happened in their indiscretion.

1 W. E. Vine, Merrill F. Unger, and William White Jr., Vine’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words (Nashville, TN: T. Nelson, 1996), 202.

A Mother comforts. She helps her child to choose a different path after the brutal lesson of actions and consequences has been given.

She Will Continue When Her Child Is Grown.

Ver. 13.—As one; literally, as a man. Israel is now looked upon as grown up, and receiving comfort from God himself in Jerusalem.1

1 H. D. M. Spence-Jones, ed., Isaiah, vol. 2, The Pulpit Commentary (London; New York: Funk & Wagnalls Company, 1910), 486.

For Mother’s Day- One time a little boy was called up front to solve a math problem. The teacher asked him, “You have a pie with 6 pieces. There are 5 in your family: your brother, your sister, your mother and father and you. Each one gets one piece of the pie. Now you only have one piece left. We don’t want to cause any disagreements so it is decided to divide that last piece of pie evenly among your family. Tell me with a fraction how it will be divided up.” The little boy said, “1/4th.” The teacher said, “No, it would be 1/5th because there are 5 in your family and it will be divided evenly.” The little boy said, “No, teacher, it will be 1/4th. This happens all of the time in my family and my mother divides up the piece of pie but she never gives any to herself.”

A Mother Will Counsel

Proverbs 31:26 KJV

She openeth her mouth with wisdom; And in her tongue is the law of kindness.

She Will Counsel With Wisdom

She openeth her mouth with wisdom. She is not merely a good housewife, attending diligently to material interests; she guides her family with words of wisdom. When she speaks, it is not gossip, or slander, or idle talk, that she utters, but sentences of prudence and sound sense, such as may minister grace to the hearers. The Septuagint has this verse before ver. 25, and the first hemistich again after ver. 27. So in Lam. 2, 3, 4, the pe and ayin verses change places. This is also the case in Ps. 37. In the former passage the LXX. renders, “She openeth her mouth heedfully and lawfully (??????????? ??? ???????);” and in the other, “wisely and in accordance with law (????? ??? ??????????).”

She Will Counsel With Kindness

In her tongue is the law of kindness (thorath chesed); i.e. her language to those around her is animated and regulated by love. As mistress of a family, she has to teach and direct her dependents, and she performs this duty with gracious kindness and ready sympathy. Septuagint, “She places order on her tongue”1

1 H. D. M. Spence-Jones, ed., Proverbs, The Pulpit Commentary (London; New York: Funk & Wagnalls Company, 1909), 601.

____

Dr. Benjamin Carson would agree listen to what he says about his mom:

Dr. Benjamin Carson, renowned surgeon at John Hopkins, has a story told about his mother by Kevin Lemam. Mrs. Carson insisted that Ben and His brother Curtis write a book report every couple of weeks. This wasn’t for school-this was for their mom. Ben and Curtis dutifully obeyed.

About the time he was in junior high, Ben finally realized something quite shocking. His mom couldn’t read. For years Ben had read books and scratched out reports, assuming that his mom was checking every word. But she didn’t have a clue what he was saying.

Now consider this: raised by an illiterate mother, Ben grew up to be a world famous surgeon who was featured in many articles and was the author of several books. His illiterate mom didn’t twist her hands over her lacking of learning and give up hope of raising intelligent boys. Instead, she gave her boys what she had interest, accountability, and courage to demand extra work.

And it paid off. Years later, someone asked Ben why his mother still lived with him, even after he was married and had a family of his own. “You don’t understand,” Ben answered. “If it weren’t for that woman, I wouldn’t be living here, She earned this.”

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 5:58 PM May 6, 2021.