Archive for April, 2021

Empty Gestures

Wednesday, April 21st, 2021

Empty Gestures

Pastor Don Carpenter

Worship: What’s Stopping You? / 1 Samuel 15:22; Isaiah 1:13; Ezekiel 33:31; Hosea 6:6; Matthew 6:5; 2 Timothy 3:5

The sin of the Pharisees was paying attention to outward demonstrations of piety for appearance’s sake rather than giving attention to inward obedience. This can be well illustrated by two eggs. One egg is a normal raw egg that, when placed under the palm of the hand and pressed evenly cannot be broken because of the structure of the egg itself. The second egg is exactly the same on the outside, but its insides have been removed. When it is placed under the same palm pressure, it breaks easily because it is internally weak. So, too, one who gives himself to the sin of the Pharisees is empty of substance and will eventually crack under pressure.

As we finish our study of hindrances to true Worship we are going to take a few minutes to think about the seduction of symbolism over substance. In May we will be continuing to examine the building blocks of Worship. We will not only how to be properly motivated to worship, but also how to Biblically express worship. This is where we can get messed up. As we see that shouting, dancing, loud instruments, crying, singing or standing silent in awe are all a part of worship, we can be tempted to do the worship things without actually worshipping. For the next few minutes let us identify things that can move us away from genuine worship.  Let us discover how we can reduce our worship to empty gestures.  

Worship is Empty Without Obedience

1 Samuel 15:18–22 KJV

And the LORD sent thee on a journey, and said, Go and utterly destroy the sinners the Amalekites, and fight against them until they be consumed. 

Wherefore then didst thou not obey the voice of the LORD, but didst fly upon the spoil, and didst evil in the sight of the LORD? 

And Saul said unto Samuel, Yea, I have obeyed the voice of the LORD, and have gone the way which the LORD sent me, and have brought Agag the king of Amalek, and have utterly destroyed the Amalekites. 

But the people took of the spoil, sheep and oxen, the chief of the things which should have been utterly destroyed, to sacrifice unto the LORD thy God in Gilgal. 

And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, As in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, And to hearken than the fat of rams.

Worship Is Empty Without Repentance

Isaiah 1:13–16 KJV

Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; The new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; It is iniquity, even the solemn meeting. 

Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: They are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them. 

And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: Yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: Your hands are full of blood. 

Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil;

Worship Is Empty Without Hearing AND Doing

Ezekiel 33:31 KJV

And they come unto thee as the people cometh, and they sit before thee as my people, and they hear thy words, but they will not do them: for with their mouth they shew much love, but their heart goeth after their covetousness.

James 1:22–24 KJV

But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. 

For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: 

For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.

Worship Is Empty Without Intimacy With God

Hosea 6:6 KJV

For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; And the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

Worship Is Empty If It Is Just For Show

Matthew 6:5 KJV

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 4:47 PM April 21, 2021.

Order of Service April 25, 2021

Tuesday, April 20th, 2021

April 25, 2021

Stand

Doxology Hymn # 554

“O worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness: Fear before him, all the earth.” (Psalm 96:9, KJV)

Hymn # 55 Holy, Holy, Holy!

Opening Prayer (do not play here)

Serve the Lord with fear, And rejoice with trembling.” (Psalm 2:11, KJV)

Hymn # 37 Praise To The Lord, The Almighty

Be Seated

“Now when Solomon had made an end of praying, the fire came down from heaven, and consumed the burnt offering and the sacrifices; and the glory of the LORD filled the house. And the priests could not enter into the house of the LORD, because the glory of the LORD had filled the LORD’s house. And when all the children of Israel saw how the fire came down, and the glory of the LORD upon the house, they bowed themselves with their faces to the ground upon the pavement, and worshipped, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever.” (2 Chronicles 7:1–3, KJV)

Hymn #  2 How Great Thou Art

Hymn # 38 Grace Greater Than Our Sin

Hymn # 232 Calvary Covered It All

Testimonies

Missionary Letter

Brief Announcements

Special Music

Dismiss For Kiddie & Junior Church

Scripture Reading Psalm 96:9

Invitation Hymn # 366 Near To The Heart of God

The Beauty Of Holiness

Tuesday, April 20th, 2021

The Beauty of His Holiness

Pastor Don Carpenter

Building Blocks of Worship / Deuteronomy 10:12; Leviticus 10:1–3; 2 Chronicles 7:3; Psalm 2:11; Psalm 68:35; Psalm 96:9; Ecclesiastes 5:1

Pastor Mike Wilkens tells this story: Once, I took the kids up to the cabin without Pam. The cabin is a rustic place with no running water, no electricity, but plenty of space for the kids to run and play. On the day that we were to come back home, I got them dressed in the morning, packed up the van, and loaded them in. I took a look at them as I was getting them in the van, and thought they look pretty good – a little grubby, but clean enough. They all slept as I drove until we pulled into a McDonald’s to get lunch – I looked back at them, and they were disgusting! What looked clean at the cabin, now in the light of civilization looked disgusting!

This morning we are launching a series called “The Building Blocks o Worship”. For the next several weeks we are going to look at essential elements that are required for us to worship God in spirit and in truth. David reminds us that we need to be mindful of God’s Holiness when we enter into His presence. When we see His beauty, we are reminded of our dreadful state. Only when we can see the contrast between our sin and His righteousness can we worship the Lord in the Beauty of His Holiness.

Psalm 96:9 KJV

O worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness: Fear before him, all the earth.

Fear The Lord and Serve Him With Your Whole Heart.

Vine’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words To Fear

Used of a person in an exalted position, yare? connotes “standing in awe.” This is not simple fear, but reverence, whereby an individual recognizes the power and position of the individual revered and renders him proper respect. In this sense, the word may imply submission to a proper ethical relationship to God

Fear that leads to whole hearted obedience.

Deuteronomy 10:12 KJV

And now, Israel, what doth the LORD thy God require of thee, but to fear the LORD thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the LORD thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul,

• Walk in His ways

• Love Him

• Serve Him

Fear that leads to repentance.

Deuteronomy 10:16–17 KJV

Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no more stiffnecked. 

For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward:

Fear that compels you to watch your step when you enter into His presence.

Ecclesiastes 5:1 KJV

Keep thy foot when thou goest to the house of God, and be more ready to hear, than to give the sacrifice of fools: for they consider not that they do evil.

Fear The Lord and Obey Him Completely

Leviticus 10:1–3 KJV

And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the LORD, which he commanded them not. 

And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD. 

Then Moses said unto Aaron, This is it that the LORD spake, saying, I will be sanctified in them that come nigh me, and before all the people I will be glorified. And Aaron held his peace.

The Book of Leviticus Fire from the Lord (1–3)

I must be sanctified (?eqq???sh). Holiness (qdsh) is one of the great themes of Leviticus. The whole nation was called to be holy, but how much more responsibility rested on the priests whose duty was to perform the sanctifying rituals and to teach the people the way of holiness. They preeminently were near (q?r??) to God, for they drew near to him themselves (q?r??) (e.g., 9:7–8) and brought near the sacrifices (hiqr???) (e.g., 7:9, 33; 9:9, etc.). Honored or “glorified” is the verbal form (k????, Niphal) of the word for “glory” (k??ô?) (cf. 9:23

Isaiah 6:1–3 KJV

In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple. 

Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly. 

And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: The whole earth is full of his glory.

The Book of Leviticus Fire from the Lord (1–3)

Moses’ words may be loosely paraphrased, “the closer a man is to God, the more attention he must pay to holiness and the glory of God.” The unspoken implication is that the sons of the high priest ought to have known better than to act so presumptuously. The same theological point is made in many different ways in the OT. It is because Israel is God’s covenant people that she faces the covenant curses listed in Lev. 26 and Deut. 28. Amos says that while other nations deserve God’s punishment for their grave sins against humanity, Judah and Israel will be punished just because they have not kept the law (Amos 2–3). Holy men within Israel are judged by an even higher standard: they are expected to follow out God’s injunctions to the last jot and tittle. In their case, the slightest transgression tends to attract the most startling punishment. The greatest of all Israel’s leaders, Moses, was denied the fulfilment of his lifelong ambition for slightly deviating from God’s commands (Num. 20), “because you did not believe in me, to sanctify me in the eyes of the Israelites” (Num. 20:12).

When we approach God, we must do it on His terms not ours.

Hebrews 9:13–14 KJV

For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh: 

How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Moody’s Stories: Being a Second Volume of Anecdotes, Incidents and Illustrations The Wrath of God Was on Him

I heard of a rich man who was asked to make a contribution on behalf of some charitable object. The text was quoted to him—“He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the Lord; and that which he hath given will He pay him again.” He said that the security might be good enough, but the credit was too long. He was dead within two weeks.

Fear The Lord and Praise Him for His Mercy.

2 Chronicles 7:1–3 KJV

Now when Solomon had made an end of praying, the fire came down from heaven, and consumed the burnt offering and the sacrifices; and the glory of the LORD filled the house. 

And the priests could not enter into the house of the LORD, because the glory of the LORD had filled the LORD’s house. 

And when all the children of Israel saw how the fire came down, and the glory of the LORD upon the house, they bowed themselves with their faces to the ground upon the pavement, and worshipped, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever.

• Sacrifices were made pointing to the need of innocent blood to cover the guilty.

• When fire fell, it could have just as easily consumed the sinful crowd, but instead consumed the sacrifice pointing to the work of Jesus on the Cross.

• This led the people to bow down and praise God for His mercy.

When we approach God in corporate worship, we must have a sense of the Awesomeness and Beauty of His Holiness. We are to open our minds anew and afresh to a sense of trembling before Him. We are not to cower like a beaten puppy, buy we are to be moved as the door posts of the Temple in Heaven shook with the sound of Holy! Holy! Holy! We are to me moved to whole hearted worship. We are to be warned that we must not usurp Biblical mandates. God’s word tells us to use instruments, voices, passion and praise to worship Him and that is what we must do. When His presence in manifested in the congregation, and people are saved and restored, let us shout praise for His great mercy. He could have consumed us, but instead he has healed us! Let us worship Our God in the Beauty of His Holiness!

The Heart of a Godly Leader

Monday, April 19th, 2021

The Heart of a Godly Leader

Pastor Don Carpenter

2021 Bible Reading Challenge / 1 Kings 3:5–15

One morning the young new president of a bank made an appointment with his predecessor to seek some advice. He began, “Sir, as you well know, I lack a great deal of the qualifications you already have for this job. You have been very successful as president of this bank, and I wondered if you would be kind enough to share with me some of the insights you have gained from your years here that have been the keys to your success.”

The older man looked at him with a stare and replied: “Young man, two words: good decisions.”

The young man responded, “Thank you very much, sir, but how does one come to know which is the good decision?”

“One word, young man: experience.”

“But how does one get experience?”

“Two words, young man: bad decisions.

Often it takes the pain of trial and error in order to gain wisdom. What if you could get the wisdom without having to endure the errors? Would you desire wisdom like that if it were offered to you?

If a miracle was to happen, and you could have what your heart desires the most, what would it be? If the miracle happened while you were sleeping this evening, how would you know that it did when you woke up? Ponder these answers in your heart. Everyone will have a different answer. These answers will help us discover what we view to be the most important things in our lives.

God asked David’s son, Solomon, the new King of Israel, this kind of question. God gave Solomon a blank check of blessing and let him fill it in. The young king could have asked for anything. His answer revealed much about his heart. Tonight we will study this answer and see what lies in the heart of a Godly leader.

Humility

1 Kings 3:6–7 KJV

And Solomon said, Thou hast shewed unto thy servant David my father great mercy, according as he walked before thee in truth, and in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart with thee; and thou hast kept for him this great kindness, that thou hast given him a son to sit on his throne, as it is this day. 

And now, O LORD my God, thou hast made thy servant king instead of David my father: and I am but a little child: I know not how to go out or come in.

A. Acknowledge God’s mercy – you did not get what you deserved.

B. Acknowledge God’s kindness

1. That protects you from evil

2. That provides you with blessings

C. Acknowledge your own weakness.

1. Do not count on your own strength.

1 Corinthians 1:26–29 KJV

For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 

But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 

And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 

That no flesh should glory in his presence.

2. Be aware of your own frailty.

James 4:7–10 KJV

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 

Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. 

Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. 

Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Matthew 18:4 KJV

Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

A man approached a speaker and said, “You Christians are all brainwashed.” The speaker replied, “I think we are all brainwashed to a degree. The important thing is that we Christians choose what we want to wash our brains with.”

Accountability

1 Kings 3:8 KJV

And thy servant is in the midst of thy people which thou hast chosen, a great people, that cannot be numbered nor counted for multitude.

A. These are God’s chosen people.

B. You are accountable to God for these people.

Acts 20:26–27 KJV

Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men. 

For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.

1 Corinthians 4:1–4 KJV

Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God. 

Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful. 

But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man’s judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self. 

For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.

An ancient Persian proverb offers the following excellent advice on developing leaders.

He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not is a fool—shun him.

He who knows not, and knows that he knows not is a child—teach him.

He who knows, and knows not that he knows is asleep—wake him.

He who knows, and knows that he knows is wise—follow him.750

Total Dependence

1 Kings 3:9 KJV

Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people?

A. Cry out to God for what you need.

1. Wisdom

James 1:5 KJV

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

2. Boldness

Acts 4:29 KJV

And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word,

Ephesians 6:18 KJV

Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

B. God blesses the selfless servant.

1 Kings 3:10–14 KJV

And the speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon had asked this thing. 

And God said unto him, Because thou hast asked this thing, and hast not asked for thyself long life; neither hast asked riches for thyself, nor hast asked the life of thine enemies; but hast asked for thyself understanding to discern judgment; 

Behold, I have done according to thy words: lo, I have given thee a wise and an understanding heart; so that there was none like thee before thee, neither after thee shall any arise like unto thee. 

And I have also given thee that which thou hast not asked, both riches, and honour: so that there shall not be any among the kings like unto thee all thy days. 

And if thou wilt walk in my ways, to keep my statutes and my commandments, as thy father David did walk, then I will lengthen thy days.

1. Gives you what you ask for in order to serve Him better.

2. Adds extra blessing when your heart is in the right place.

Philippians 2:1–4 KJV

If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, 

Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. 

Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. 

Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

An important rule of leadership “Don’t allow the patient to prescribe the medicine.”

C. Always remember the price that was paid for your sins – don’t get too proud.

1 Kings 3:15 KJV

And Solomon awoke; and, behold, it was a dream. And he came to Jerusalem, and stood before the ark of the covenant of the LORD, and offered up burnt offerings, and offered peace offerings, and made a feast to all his servants.

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 4:51 PM April 19, 2021.

Order of Service April 18 AM

Sunday, April 18th, 2021

April 18, 2021

Stand

Doxology Hymn # 554

He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.” (Revelation 2:17, KJV)

Hymn # 189 A New Name In Glory

Opening Prayer (do not play here)

“But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.” (1 John 1:7, KJV)

Hymn # 220 Saved By The Blood

Be Seated

Chorus # 217 There Is A Redeemer

Hymn – If That Isn’t Love

Testimonies

Missionary Letter

Brief Announcements

Special Music

Dismiss For Kiddie & Junior Church

Scripture Reading 2 Corinthians 5:17

Invitation Hymn # 374 Whiter Than Snow

The Horizontal Choke To Worship

Thursday, April 15th, 2021

The Horizontal Choke to Worship

Pastor Don Carpenter

Worship: What’s Stopping You? / Isaiah 1:11–17; Amos 5:21–24; Matthew 5:23–24

Last week, as we began our series: “Worship: What’s Stopping You?” we were reminded that Jesus wants us to worship God in spirit and in truth.

John 4:23 KJV

But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

In order to do that we need to have a river of Grace that flows unhindered. We discovered that worship is about relationships/ We have a vertical relationship, between us and God, and a horizontal relationship between fellow believers. Last week we discovered that a wrong vertical relationship can choke the flow of Grace that allows us to worship in spirit (genuine passion) and in truth. Tonight we will identify the barriers in our interpersonal relationships that can also choke the flow of Grace that aids our passionate worship. We will discover and stop the horizontal choke to worship.

Unresolved Conflict

Matthew 5:23–24 KJV

Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; 

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

Ephesians 4:26 KJV

Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:

Proverbs 25:9 KJV

Debate thy cause with thy neighbour himself; And discover not a secret to another:

Romans 12:17–18 KJV

Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. 

If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

Bill White, of Paramount, California, talks about his friend, Greg, who recently put together a mini high school reunion when he went back home to Indiana to visit his parents. He hadn’t seen many of his classmates in over 17 years; but when they got together, they had a riot reliving their glory days and finding out what was currently going on in everyone’s life.

As the night was winding down, Greg noticed that his friend Debbie was getting teary-eyed, and he couldn’t help but ask what was going on. Through tears she said, “It’s sad that there are some things you just can’t forget.”

Certain that something spiritual was going on, Greg pressed Debbie about what she meant. Finally she told him. In the second grade — 27 years previously! — a girl named Karen had started the “Debbie Haters’ Club.” Debbie had never gotten over the pain of that, and she had never forgiven Karen.

Knowing that Karen was at the reunion that night, Greg told Debbie she should talk to her. Debbie refused, but Greg insisted. In fact, Greg ended up orchestrating the effort toward reconciliation! When Karen was collecting her coat to leave the party, Greg pulled her aside into a separate room, and asked her to wait for him to return. Then Greg went to get Debbie. When both women were together in the room, Greg stepped out of the room and stood guard outside the door. Greg couldn’t hear a word that passed between them, but he didn’t need to. As they both left, he could see the freedom on their faces — a freedom that only comes with reconciliation.

Unfair Treatment of Others

Something Makes Our Worship Stink Before God

Amos 5:21–23 KJV

I hate, I despise your feast days, And I will not smell in your solemn assemblies. 

Though ye offer me burnt offerings and your meat offerings, I will not accept them: Neither will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts. 

Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs; For I will not hear the melody of thy viols.

It is a Lack of Justice or Fairness

Amos 5:24 KJV

But let judgment run down as waters, And righteousness as a mighty stream.

Micah 6:8 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; And what doth the LORD require of thee, But to do justly, and to love mercy, And to walk humbly with thy God?

A family went to dine at a restaurant and the six-year-old boy was asked to say the blessing.

As they bowed their heads he said, “God is great. God is good. Thank you for this food. And I would even thank you more, God, if Mom bought us some ice cream after dinner with liberty and justice for all. Amen.”

This brought several chuckles from other customers and also one strong remark from an older woman seated nearby, “That’s what’s wrong with this country. Kids don’t even know how to pray. Asking God for ice cream! Why I never!”

Tears welled up in the little boy’s eyes as he exclaimed, “Did I do something wrong? Is God mad at me?”

The mother reassured him that he had done nothing wrong and that he had done a great job as an elderly gentleman walked up and said, “I happen to know that God thought that was a great prayer!”

“Really?” asked the little boy.

“Cross my heart,” answered the man and with sly grin nodding toward the woman, “Too bad she never asks for ice cream. A little ice cream is good for the soul sometimes.”

Of course, mom bought ice cream for everyone. The little boy stared at his ice cream for a moment. Then he slid out of the booth, took his ice cream and placed it in front of the older woman.

With a big smile he told her, “This is for you. Sometimes a little ice cream is good for the soul and my soul is good already.”

Apathy Toward The Oppressed.

Isaiah 1:11–17 KJV

To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; And I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats. 

When ye come to appear before me, Who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts? 

Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; The new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; It is iniquity, even the solemn meeting. 

Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: They are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them. 

And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: Yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: Your hands are full of blood. 

Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil; 

Learn to do well; Seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, Judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.

• To ignore the oppressed and suffering is to do intentional hurt (evil) by omission

James 4:17 KJV

Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

Arthur Pink wrote about how some people do not worship:

They bring their bodies to the house of prayer but not their souls. They worship with their mouths but not in spirit and in truth.

They are sticklers for early morning communion with God but they take no thought about keeping their hearts with all diligence.

They boast of their orthodoxy but disregard the precepts of Christ.

Multitudes of professing Christians abstain from external acts of violence, yet hesitate not to rob their neighbors of a good name by spreading evil reports against them.

They contribute regularly to the church but shrink not from misrepresenting their goods and cheating their customers persuading themselves that business is business.

They have more regard for the laws of man than those of God for his fear is not before their eyes.

__

God wants us to worship freely and passionately. We need His Grace and power to flow through us in order to do that. If we are mistreating our fellow man, that Grace gets clogged. Let us resolve our personal conflicts, treat others fairly, and stand for those who have no voice. Then we can remove the vertical choke to worship.

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 8:10 PM April 15, 2021.

Love That Makes All Things New

Thursday, April 15th, 2021

Love that Makes all Things New

Pastor Don Carpenter

***This is Love / 2 Corinthians 5:17

I saw a guy with his new car the other day, or at least it sure seemed new the way he admired it walking away backwards from it almost to the point of stumbling over the curb. You know one thing we like to do, is show off the new. I could relate with the man, he couldn’t stop looking at the shiny black convertible…. or perhaps it was a Jasper Green Subaru Forester.

I know we’ve all been there and it’s something we like doing. Even years after the item we once had has come and gone we still talk with love and admiration about the relationship we have or had with that vehicle, or that guitar, or that special thing we once had.

Our relationship with Jesus should be the same way!

Telling and leading someone to the option of trading in their old life for the new and improved one God has prepared and has waiting for them to experience. Is one of the most exciting things a person can ever do or be part of the experience!

This is our last sermon in the Easter Series: This is Love. 

Romans 5:8 KJV

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

We have seen that this love demonstrated was a love that forgives sins. We have seen that this demonstrated love conquered death. This morning we are going to discover that this love makes all things new.

2 Corinthians 5:17 KJV

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

There are well meaning folks who use this verse to try to shame professing believers into reform. this comes dangerously close to heresy. You see, there is not one work, rite or ritual that we can do to merit or maintain our salvation. We become saved when we surrender trust in our own dead works and trust in the finished work of Jesus Christ on the Cross.

Romans 10:9–10 KJV

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 

For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Acts 16:30–31 KJV

And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? 

And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

This morning we are going to discover what God does with those who make that decision. We are going to see that it is all Him! It is all Grace! This is love that makes all things new!

A New Father

John 8:44 KJV

Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Romans 8:15 KJV

For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

A New Family

Romans 8:17 KJV

And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Corinthians 6:14–17 KJV

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? 

And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? 

And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 

Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

A New Righteousness

Philippians 3:4–9 KJV

Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: 

Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; 

Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. 

But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. 

Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, 

And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

A New Name

1 Corinthians 6:9–11 KJV

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 

Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. 

And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Revelation 2:17 KJV

He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

A New Nature

Romans 6:4–6 KJV

Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. 

For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: 

Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

Romans 7:6 KJV

But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Galatians 5:16–18 KJV

This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. 

For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. 

But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Romans 8:9–10 KJV

But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. 

And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

New Affections

Colossians 3:1–2 KJV

If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 

Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

New Lifestyle

Ephesians 4:22–24 KJV

That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; 

And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; 

And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

New Destiny

John 3:36 KJV

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

John 14:1–3 KJV

Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 

In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

Revelation 21:3–5 KJV

And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. 

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. 

And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

A young woman named Margaret had spent decades battling depression and anxiety that were traced back to a horrible day in school when a Teacher, frustrated with her tardiness, made her stand in front of the room and invited all the students to come up to the board and write something bad about her on the chalkboard. The kids were ruthless. They wrote things like “Margaret is ugly!”, “Margaret smells” and “Margaret is stupid.” All twenty-five students went up to the board and wrote these hurtful things. This event inflicted wounds that Margaret found difficult to heal. She battled depression, discouragement, and was angry all the time. Finally she went to a psychologist for help. She spent two years meeting weekly but finally they had reached the end of their sessions.

The counselor said, “Margaret, I know this will be difficult, but just to make sure you’re ready to move on, I am going to ask you to do something. I want to go back to your schoolroom and detail the events of that day. Take your time. Describe each of the children as they approach the blackboard, remember what they wrote and how you felt–do this for all twenty-five students.

In a way, this would be easy for Margaret. For forty years she had remembered every detail. And yet, to go through the nightmare one more time would take every bit of strength she had. After a long silence, she began the painful description. One by one, she described each of the students vividly, as though she had just seen them, stopping periodically to regain her composure, forcing herself to face each of those students one more time.

Finally she was done, and the tears would not stop, could not stop. Margaret cried a long time before she realized someone was whispering her name. “Margaret, Margaret, Margaret.” She looked up to see her counselor staring into her eyes, saying her name over and over again. Margaret stopped crying for moment.

“Margaret, you left out one person.”

“I certainly did not! I have lived with this story for forty years. I know every student by heart.”

“No, Margaret, you did forget someone. See, he’s sitting in the back of the classroom. He’s standing up, walking toward your teacher, Ms. Garner. She is handing him a piece of chalk and he’s taking it. Margaret, he’s taking it! Now he’s walking over to the blackboard and picking up and eraser. He is erasing every one of the sentences the students wrote. They are gone! Margaret, they are gone! Do you recognize him yet? Yes, his name is Jesus. Look, he’s writing new sentences on the board. ’Margaret is loved. Margaret is beautiful. Margaret is gentle and kind. Margaret is strong. Margaret has great courage.’”

And Margaret began to weep. But very quickly, the weeping turned into a smile, and then into laughter, and then into tears of joy.

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

This is Love That Makes All Things New!

The Path to Bold Humility

Wednesday, April 14th, 2021

The Path to Bold Humility

Pastor Don Carpenter

2021 Bible Reading Challenge

Psalm 19:13 KJV
Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; Let them not have dominion over me: Then shall I be upright, And I shall be innocent from the great transgression.

What in the world is a presumptuous sin? And why was David so intent on avoiding it specifically.

Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary (Eleventh Edition) Presumptuous

pre•sump•tu•ous \pri-?z?m(p)-ch?-w?s, -ch?s, -sh?s\ adjective
[Middle English, from Anglo-French presumptious, from Late Latin praesumptuosus, irregular from praesumptio] 14th century: overstepping due bounds

So to be presumptuous is to cross boundaries. It is to take too much on or to be too bold… to act like you have the right to things and to expect things that you do not have the right to expect. Our passage today tells us of a terrible mistake that King David makes as a leader, the price that someone under his leadership paid, and the path back to restoration. You see David found that his presumption came from pride and once he humbled himself, he found immense relief. Then he was not going back to that proud place, David became bold in his humility.

Pride Leads to Presumption

2 Samuel 6:1–5 KJV
Again, David gathered together all the chosen men of Israel, thirty thousand.

And David arose, and went with all the people that were with him from Baale of Judah, to bring up from thence the ark of God, whose name is called by the name of the LORD of hosts that dwelleth between the cherubims.

And they set the ark of God upon a new cart, and brought it out of the house of Abinadab that was in Gibeah: and Uzzah and Ahio, the sons of Abinadab, drave the new cart.

And they brought it out of the house of Abinadab which was at Gibeah, accompanying the ark of God: and Ahio went before the ark.

And David and all the house of Israel played before the LORD on all manner of instruments made of fir wood, even on harps, and on psalteries, and on timbrels, and on cornets, and on cymbals.

The Bible Knowledge Commentary 6:1–5

6:1–5. For 100 long years the ark of the covenant had been separated from the tabernacle and other places of worship. After its capture by the Philistines at Aphek (1 Sam. 4:11) it remained in Philistia for seven months, then briefly at Beth Shemesh, and the rest of the time at Kiriath Jearim. Now David had taken Jerusalem, a neutral place, and made it the political capital of the kingdom. All that remained was to retrieve the ark, place it in the tabernacle he would erect on Mount Zion, and declare Jerusalem the religious center of the nation as well.
David first went with 30,000 men to Baalah of Judah (the same as Kiriath Jearim; Josh. 15:9) to bring the ark from the house of Abinadab, its custodian. Described as that which bore the name of God Himself, the ark represented the presence of God who dwelled among His people in a special way (cf. Ex. 25:22). As such, it was to be handled with reverence, even in its transportation from place to place. The Law specified that it be carried by Levites who would bear it on their shoulders by means of poles passed through gold rings attached to the ark (Ex. 25:14; cf. Num. 4:15, 20). Even the Levites could not touch the ark or even look in it because of its holiness. Why David overlooked these requirements it is impossible to know, but he and Uzzah and Ahio, two descendants of Abinadab, placed the ark on a cart and proceeded, with great musical celebration, toward Jerusalem. The use of musical instruments (2 Sam. 6:5) was common in Israel’s worship as may be seen, for example, in Psalm 150 where most of the same instruments are listed.

Exodus 25:14 KJV
And thou shalt put the staves into the rings by the sides of the ark, that the ark may be borne with them.

Numbers 4:15 KJV
And when Aaron and his sons have made an end of covering the sanctuary, and all the vessels of the sanctuary, as the camp is to set forward; after that, the sons of Kohath shall come to bear it: but they shall not touch any holy thing, lest they die. These things are the burden of the sons of Kohath in the tabernacle of the congregation.

Numbers 4:20 KJV
But they shall not go in to see when the holy things are covered, lest they die.

Presumption Leads to Punishment and Fear

2 Samuel 6:6–11 KJV
And when they came to Nachon’s threshingfloor, Uzzah put forth his hand to the ark of God, and took hold of it; for the oxen shook it.

And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Uzzah; and God smote him there for his error; and there he died by the ark of God.

And David was displeased, because the LORD had made a breach upon Uzzah: and he called the name of the place Perez-uzzah to this day.

And David was afraid of the LORD that day, and said, How shall the ark of the LORD come to me?

So David would not remove the ark of the LORD unto him into the city of David: but David carried it aside into the house of Obed-edom the Gittite.

And the ark of the LORD continued in the house of Obed-edom the Gittite three months: and the LORD blessed Obed-edom, and all his household.

The Bible Knowledge Commentary 6:6–11
6:6–11. Along the way they passed over a rough outcropping of stone, a threshing place belonging to Nacon (or Kidon; 1 Chron. 13:9), and the oxen stumbled, threatening to throw the ark from the cart. Instinctively Uzzah, one of the attendants, laid hold of the ark to prevent its fall, an act of irreverence that cost him his life. The harshness of the LORD‘s discipline must be seen in the light of His absolute holiness which requires that sacred tasks be done in a sacred manner (cf. comments on 1 Sam. 6:19–7:2). Since God had broken out (p?ra?) in wrath on Uzzah, David named that place Perez (“outbreak against”) Uzzah. David learned his lesson. He would not move the ark again until the Lord gave him instruction. It remained, therefore, in the house of Obed-Edom the Gittite (a native of Gath) for three months.

Punishment Leads to Humility

Sacrifice Seeking Forgiveness.

2 Samuel 6:12–13 KJV
And it was told king David, saying, The LORD hath blessed the house of Obed-edom, and all that pertaineth unto him, because of the ark of God. So David went and brought up the ark of God from the house of Obed-edom into the city of David with gladness.

And it was so, that when they that bare the ark of the LORD had gone six paces, he sacrificed oxen and fatlings.

Celebration of Humble Praise

2 Samuel 6:14–15 KJV
And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.

So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the LORD with shouting, and with the sound of the trumpet.

Humility Becomes Bold

Passionate and Humble Worship is Disdained by Whose Who do not Practice it.

2 Samuel 6:16 KJV
And as the ark of the LORD came into the city of David, Michal Saul’s daughter looked through a window, and saw king David leaping and dancing before the LORD; and she despised him in her heart.

Those who do Celebrate With You.

2 Samuel 6:17–19 KJV
And they brought in the ark of the LORD, and set it in his place, in the midst of the tabernacle that David had pitched for it: and David offered burnt offerings and peace offerings before the LORD.

And as soon as David had made an end of offering burnt offerings and peace offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the LORD of hosts.

And he dealt among all the people, even among the whole multitude of Israel, as well to the women as men, to every one a cake of bread, and a good piece of flesh, and a flagon of wine. So all the people departed every one to his house.

Humility Wrought In The Crucible of Chastisement Will Remain Bold.

2 Samuel 6:20–23 KJV
Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, How glorious was the king of Israel to day, who uncovered himself to day in the eyes of the handmaids of his servants, as one of the vain fellows shamelessly uncovereth himself!

And David said unto Michal, It was before the LORD, which chose me before thy father, and before all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel: therefore will I play before the LORD.

And I will yet be more vile than thus, and will be base in mine own sight: and of the maidservants which thou hast spoken of, of them shall I be had in honour.

Therefore Michal the daughter of Saul had no child unto the day of her death.

I Samuel to Esther Chapter 6
The speech might be paraphrased, Before the Lord which chose me, &c., yea, before the Lord have I danced. He humbles Michal’s pride by the allusion to her father’s rejection, and shows by Saul’s example how little pride contributes to the stability of greatness. Therefore for his part he will not think anything done for the glory of God too mean for him; and if he cannot have honour from Saul’s daughter, he will be content to be honoured by the maid-servants.

Barnes

In 1863 President Lincoln designated April 30th as a day of national humiliation, fasting, and prayer. Let me read a portion of his proclamation on that occasion:

“It is the duty of nations, as well as of men, who owe their dependence upon the overruling power of God, to confess their sins and transgressions in humble sorrow, yet with assured hope that genuine repentance will lead to mercy and pardon, and to recognize the sublime truth announced in the Holy Scriptures and proven by a history that those nations only are blessed whose God is the Lord. The awful calamity of civil war which now desolates the land may be but a punishment inflicted upon us for our presumptuous sins, to the needful end of our national reformation as a whole people. Intoxicated with unbroken success, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us. We have grown in numbers, wealth, and power as no other nation has grown, but we have forgotten God.”

We are not smarter than God. Let us never presume to do things “better” than He has laid out in His book. When we deviate from God’s written will, people who are under our influence will suffer. Thank God, that He loves us enough to correct us. He will not allow our pride to fester unchecked. Once we surrender, we feel the immense relief of forgiven sin and restored relationships. It will be natural to passionately worship. Yes, some may mock, but God does not! Therefore be bold in your humility!

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 2:36 PM April 14, 2021.

The Choke to Vertical Worship

Thursday, April 8th, 2021

The Choke to Vertical Worship

Pastor Don Carpenter

Worship: What’s Stopping You? / Psalm 66:18; Matthew 15:7–9; Isaiah 29:13; Psalm 32:5–6; Isaiah 59:2; Isaiah 64:7; James 4:3

When Lawrence of Arabia was in Paris with some of his Arab friends after World War I, he took them to see the sights of the city. His friends showed little interest in the Louvre, the Arch of Triumph, or Napoleon’s tomb. The thing that really interested them was the faucet in their bathtub. They spent much time turning it on and off; they thought it was wonderful. All they had to do was turn the handle and they could get all the water they wanted.

When they were leaving Paris, Lawrence found them in the bathroom with wrenches, trying to get the faucet off so they could take it with them. You see, they said, it is very dry in Arabia. What we need are faucets. If we have them, we will have all the water we want. Lawrence had to explain to them that the effectiveness of the faucet depended on the water system to which it was attached.

Our study of worship reminds us that the effectiveness of all that we do in the church is not to be found in outward activity or service, but in the One who stands behind it.

2021 is the year of Worship for Evangelical Baptist Church. We are going to study it, understand it, practice it, and develop it within our church culture and church body. On New Year’s Eve we were introduced to the concept of worship as described by our Savior.

John 4:23 KJV

But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

We saw that there are two essential elements to true and effective, intimate worship. We must worship in spirit, that is emotional passion, and in truth… both doctrinal truth and genuine expression.  

Since that introduction we have learned about the role of singing in the life of a believer. We have also started to learn about intimate prayer. We saw that Jesus gave us a very basic model of how to pray in what we know as “The Lord’s Prayer”.

Worship goes two ways, vertical and horizontal. Our vertical worship goes up to God and receives input from God down to us. On the horizontal level, when we worship God vertically, we are ministering to our brothers and sisters within the congregation – horizontally.

Tonight as we continue to learn about worship in 2021 we are launching a series called “Worship: What’s Stopping You?”

Since true worship is done in spirit and in truth, there are things that can choke the passion and the truth of worship and cause the exercise to be empty. Worship is largely relational. It feeds on our relationship to God (vertical) and on our relationship to each other in brotherly love ( horizontal).

This week and next we will take a journey through scriptures and discover what could choke out genuine spiritual worship. Tonight we will focus on things that will cause a Vertical Choke to Worship.

Unresolved Sin

Creates a Distance Between Us and God

Isaiah 59:2 KJV

But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, And your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.

Creates a Barrier to Answered Prayer

Psalm 66:18 KJV

If I regard iniquity in my heart, The Lord will not hear me:

A Handbook on the Book of Psalms Psalm 66:18–19

In verse 18 the Hebrew reads “If I had seen iniquity in my heart,” by which the psalmist means that if he had been aware of his sin yet done nothing about it

Vine’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words To See, Perceive

ra?ah (?????, 7200), “to see, observe, perceive, get acquainted with, gain understanding, examine, look after (see to), choose, discover.” This verb occurs only in Moabite and all periods of Hebrew. It appears in the Bible about 1,300 times.

Basically ra?ah connotes seeing with one’s eyes: Isaac’s “eyes were dim, so that he could not see” (Gen. 27:1). This is its meaning in Gen. 1:4, its first biblical appearance. The word can be used in the sense of seeing only what is obvious:

Proverbs 28:9 KJV

He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, Even his prayer shall be abomination.

Hypocrisy – Worship For Show

Isaiah 29:13 KJV

Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, And with their lips do honour me, But have removed their heart far from me, And their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:

A Handbook on Isaiah, Volumes 1 & 2 29:13

And their fear of me is a commandment of men learned by rote: The Hebrew noun rendered fear can refer to physical fear, but here it refers to reverence or awe for God, or even worship. For their fear of me, NJB and NAB have “their reverence for me,” while GNB and REB say “Their religion.” It may also be rendered “when they worship me.” Their worship is described first as a commandment of men, which means their religious leaders, not God, have required them to do it. It is also learned by rote. The English expression “to learn by rote” means to memorize something through repetition, without necessarily understanding it fully. The Hebrew text is simply “a learned thing.” NJB has “a lesson memorised,” and NAB says “routine observance.” GNB renders this whole line well with “Their religion is nothing but human rules and traditions, which they have simply memorized.”

Isaiah, Volume 1 Chapter 29

And their fear toward me. The worship of God is often represented as fear (Job 28:28; Ps. 19:9; 34:11; Prov. 1:7).

Is taught by the precept of men. That is, their views, instead of having been derived from the Scriptures, were drawn from the doctrines of men. Our Saviour referred to this passage, and applied it to the hypocrites of his own time (Matt. 15:8, 9). The latter part of it is, however, not quoted literally from the Hebrew, nor from the LXX., but retains the sense: ‘But in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.’ He quoted it as strikingly descriptive of the people when he lived, not as saying that Isaiah referred directly to his times.

Elevate Tradition Over Scripture

Matthew 15:7–9 KJV

Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, 

This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. 

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

• Making Up Extra biblical rules of worship.

• Disregarding Biblical precedent and practice because of perceived cultural norms.

1 Timothy 2:8 KJV

I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

Selfishness

James 4:3 KJV

Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

Apathy/ Laziness

Isaiah 64:7 KJV

And there is none that calleth upon thy name, That stirreth up himself to take hold of thee: For thou hast hid thy face from us, And hast consumed us, because of our iniquities.

That stirreth up himself. The word here used (??????????) refers to the effort which is requisite to rouse one’s self when oppressed by a spirit of heavy slumber; and the idea here is, that the nation was sunk in spiritual torpor, and that the same effort was needful to excite it which was requisite to rouse one who had sunk down to deep sleep. How aptly this describes the state of a sinful world! How much disposed is that world to give itself to spiritual slumber! How indisposed to rouse itself to call upon God! No man rises to God without effort; and unless men make an effort for this, they fall into the stupidity of sin, just as certainly as a drowsy man sinks back into deep sleep.

Albert Barnes, Notes on the Old Testament: Isaiah, vol. 2 (London: Blackie & Son, 1851), 404–405.

1 Corinthians 15:34 KJV

Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.

I think George Reeves was the first actor to be Superman on TV.

Back in the 50’s, TV actors were not quite as “elite” as some seem to be now. They would throw out the first pitch at a Los Angeles little league game. They would fire the starting pistol for a soap box derby race in Oklahoma City. They would be at the dedication of a statue in a city park in Boise. People could meet them, shake their hand, and, of course, get an autograph.

George Reeves was popular for guest appearances, but his fame included risks. Kids might kick him in the shins or throw rocks to find out if he was the “real” Superman or a “pretend” Superman, the same way kids pull on Santa beards to find out if they are real. It seemed like every time he appeared in public as Superman, someone wanted to put him to the test.

In 1953, he may have faced real-life danger appearing at a department store opening. A young fan, who wanted to see bullets bounce off Superman’s chest, brought his dad’s Army Colt, his dad’s loaded… .45 caliber… Army Colt. Reeves talked him into putting it down. He told the boy that Superman could survive the shot without being hurt, but “when bullets bounce off my chest, they might hurt you and others around here.”

He continued to make public appearances, but never again in the Superman costume.

I said, “he may have faced real-life danger.” I tried to find more details about the incident. I could not find a first hand account, a specific date, or a department store name. Apparently, neither can anyone else.

Some believe Reeves made up the story so he would not have to wear the costume when he appeared in public. It’s understandable. I would not want kids kicking me in the shins or throwing rocks every time I showed up. That story was the only way he could stop the agents and producers from scheduling Superman appearances.

When he appeared in public, children wanted to know. “Is he real or is he pretend?”

God doesn’t have to kick us in the shins or throw rocks at us to know if our devotion is real or pretend. When God sent Samuel to anoint the next king, he was impressed with some of Jesse’s sons, but God said, “Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.” He still does.

God is looking for us to worship Him in spirit and in truth. Tonight we have identified some barriers to true vertical worship. Let us identify and confess unresolved sin, hypocrisy, the elevation of tradition over scripture, selfishness and apathy. These are the things that can create a vertical choke to worship.

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 7:20 PM April 8, 2021.

Love That Conquered Death

Thursday, April 8th, 2021

Love That Conquered Death

Pastor Don Carpenter

***This is Love / 1 Corinthians 15:20–26

One of the great preachers of the Puritan era captured the real meaning of the resurrection in his sermon entitled, “The Death of Death in the Death of Christ.” The title is more than a play on words. It contains profound truth.

—Gospel Herald

Nothing demonstrates the Love God has for us more than the Easter story.  

Last week we saw that this great love compelled Jesus to be nailed on the cross, buried, and raise from the grave is a love that forgives sins. Not only did resurrection facilitate the applying of Christ’s Blood on the Heavenly Mercy Seat, it also broke the grip of death and all of its ramifications. For a few minutes let us consider the love demonstrated that conquered death.

Love Conquered The Sentence of Death.

Sin Brings Death

Romans 3:23 KJV

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Romans 6:23 KJV

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 5:12 KJV

Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

John 3:18 KJV

He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

John 3:36 KJV

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

The Second Death Awaits The Condemned

Revelation 20:12–14 KJV

And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. 

And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 

And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Revelation 21:8 KJV

But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Through Jesus We Overcome the Sentence of the Second Death

Revelation 2:11 KJV

He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

1 John 5:4–5 KJV

For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. 

Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

Revelation 20:6 KJV

Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

Love Conquers the Sting of Death

Christ’s Resurrection Gives Us Hope

1 Corinthians 15:20–22 KJV

But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. 

For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. 

For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Christ’s Resurrection Proves the Enemy of Death is Defeated.

1 Corinthians 15:23–26 KJV

But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ’s at his coming. 

Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. 

For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. 

The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

Christ’s Resurrection Takes The Stinger or Hurt Out of Death.

1 Corinthians 15:55–57 KJV

O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? 

The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. 

But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament based on Semantic Domains 20.69 ???????, ??

20.69 ???????c, ?? n: (a figurative extension of meaning of ???????a ‘sting,’ 8.45) the power or ability to kill or destroy—‘power to kill, power to destroy.

The Resurrection Heals the Hurt of Death

Revelation 21:3–6 KJV

And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. 

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. 

And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. 

And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

Love Conquers the Corruption of Death.

Not Revived, but Resurrected to Die No More

Acts 13:32–37 KJV

And we declare unto you glad tidings, how that the promise which was made unto the fathers, 

God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee. 

And as concerning that he raised him up from the dead, now no more to return to corruption, he said on this wise, I will give you the sure mercies of David. 

Wherefore he saith also in another psalm, Thou shalt not suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. 

For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption: 

But he, whom God raised again, saw no corruption.

Raised Incorruptible

1 Corinthians 15:51–54 KJV

Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 

In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 

For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 

So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

1 John 3:1–2 KJV

Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. 

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

1 Thessalonians 4:13–18 KJV

But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. 

For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. 

For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. 

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 

Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 

Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

Raised to New Life and Abundant Love

Joni Eareckson Tada, a quadriplegic who was paralyzed in a diving accident as a teenager, talks about her wedding day. She says, “I felt awkward as my girlfriends strained to shift my paralyzed body into a cumbersome wedding gown. No amount of corseting and binding my body gave me a perfect shape. The dress just didn’t fit well. Then, as I was wheeling into the church, I glanced down and noticed that I’d accidentally run over the hem of my dress, leaving a greasy tire mark. My paralyzed hands couldn’t hold the bouquet of daisies that lay off-center on my lap. And my chair, though decorated for the wedding, was still a big, clunky gray machine with belts, gears, and ball bearings. I certainly didn’t feel like the picture-perfect bride in a bridal magazine. I inched my chair closer to the last pew to catch a glimpse of Ken in front. There he was, standing tall and stately in his formal attire. I saw him looking for me, craning his neck to look up the aisle. My face flushed, and I suddenly couldn’t wait to be with him. I had seen my beloved. The love in Ken’s face had washed away all my feelings of unworthiness. I was his pure and perfect bride. How easy it is for us to think that we’re utterly unlovely — especially to someone as lovely as Christ. But he loves us with the bright eyes of a Bridegroom’s love and cannot wait for the day we are united with him forever.”

And we, unattractive, frightened, paralyzed and imperfect, yet wild with hope, come to the wedding feast of the Lamb. We feel inadequate and unworthy, yet our eyes are fixed on Christ. We are overwhelmed with emotion as we know that we are loved and accepted just as we are, and that the wedding will bring about a transformation. The blood and water that flowed from his side has released us from our bondage, healed our brokenness and cleansed us from our sin. We become the Bride of Christ, not just in theory or potentially, but in reality. And there, together with him and all the redeemed, we will taste the new wine of the kingdom.

The writer of Revelation proclaimed:

Revelation 21:2–5 KJV

And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 

Conclusion:

The Easter Story is a Love Story!

You are loved so much Christ died and rose again to forgive your sins and to conquer death. We no longer need to fear the undertaker, and we look for the Upper- Taker… this is Love that Conquered Death.

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 11:16 AM April 8, 2021.