Archive for March 19th, 2021

Pray Like This – Part 1

Friday, March 19th, 2021

Pray Like This – Part 1

Pastor Don Carpenter

When You Pray / Matthew 6:9–10

A woman called a pastor to come to the house to see her father. He goes to the house not knowing whether the man is Christian or not but he notices as he talks to him and the man answers back that he must be a Christian and there is a chair sitting close by. An empty chair. He asks “What’s the chair for and the man said, “Well, I’ll tell you, but I won’t tell my daughter, she’ll think I’m crazy. I’ve always had trouble praying. I knew a man in my early years who said to me, ‘All you need to do is put an empty chair in front of you and prayer is nothing more than talking to God. And why don’t you imagine God sitting in that chair and you just talk to him.'” And so he said, “I put an empty chair there and started talking to the chair as if God was there and it got so good that I just do it now hours sometime at a time and just talk to God and God talks to me and my soul is blessed by His divine grace.” And he said, “If I tell my daughter, she’ll think I’m losing my mind.”

Some months later, the man died. When the Pastor came to visit the family, he said to the daughter, “How did he die? What happened to him?” She said, “Well, the sickness just finally got him. But the strangest way we found him. When I came in, he was dead, but there’s a chair sitting beside the bed and I noticed that he had pushed himself out of the bed and put his head in the chair and died there with his head in the chair.”

___

Last week we started a three week series that looks at Jesus’ advice about prayer entitled “when You Pray”. We discovered that although prayer is not unique to Biblical Christianity, what makes Biblical Christianity different is that prayer is not merely a tool of the mind and psychology to get one in a certain meditative state; prayer is a dynamic, private, personal and intimate interaction with Almighty God.  

Biblical prayer is intimate. So when Jesus gave what is referred to as “The Lord’s Prayer”, He was not prescribing a wrote formula to memorize and recite in direct contradiction to his advice in the previous verses. He was however, giving us the building blocks of what a Biblical prayer should look like for a believer. In the next two weeks we will discover what Jesus was trying to teach when He said, “Pray Like This”.

Open Your Prayer With Humble Worship

Matthew 6:9–10 KJV

After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. 

Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

Acknowledge God’s Relationship To You

King James Version Chapter 6

Our Father which art in heaven

Everyone Does Not Have That Relationship to God

John 8:44 KJV

Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

This Relationship Is Unique To Born Again Believers

John 1:12 KJV

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Romans 8:15 KJV

For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Galatians 4:16 KJV

Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Prayer is to begin with worship. God is addressed as Our Father in heaven. Worship is the essence of all prayer. (In vv. 1–18 Jesus used the word “Father” 10 times! Only those who have true inner righteousness can address God in that way in worship.1

1 Louis A. Barbieri Jr., “Matthew,” in The Bible Knowledge Commentary: An Exposition of the Scriptures, ed. J. F. Walvoord and R. B. Zuck, vol. 2 (Wheaton, IL: Victor Books, 1985), 32.

___

A little boy was standing on the banks of the Mississippi River waving and shouting at a steamboat that was going by. He was beckoning the steamboat to come to shore.

A stranger came by and said, “That’s foolish young man. The boat will never come ashore for you. The captain is too busy to notice your waving and shouting.”

Just then, the boat turned and headed for shore. The little boy grinned and said to the stranger, “The captain is my daddy.”

The captain of the universe is our Abba. He’s our daddy. He pays attention to our petitions because he loves us. The first words in the Lord’s Prayer encourages us to call him, “Father.” He is the Lord of the universe as well as our daddy, but that doesn’t mean we should take him for granted any more than we should take our dads for granted. Thank you, Father.

Acknowledge God’s Holy Name

Hallowed be thy name.

hagiazo (??????, 37), “to make holy” (from hagios, “holy”), signifies to set apart for God, to sanctify, to make a person or thing the opposite of koinos, “common”; it is translated “Hallowed,” with reference to the name of God the Father in the Lord’s Prayer, Matt. 6:9; Luke 11:2. See sanctify1

1 W. E. Vine, Merrill F. Unger, and William White Jr., Vine’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words (Nashville, TN: T. Nelson, 1996), 287.

Hallowed be thy name. The word hallowed means to render or pronounce holy. God’s name is essentially holy; and the meaning of this petition is, “Let thy name be celebrated, venerated, and esteemed as holy everywhere, and receive from all men proper honour.” It is thus the expression of a wish or desire, on the part of the worshipper, that the name of God, or that God himself, should be held everywhere in proper veneration.1

1 Albert Barnes, Notes on the New Testament: Matthew & Mark, ed. Robert Frew (London: Blackie & Son, 1884–1885), 66.

His Name Is Power

Philippians 2:9–11 KJV

Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 

That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 

And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

His Name Is The Only Name For Salvation

Acts 4:10–12 KJV

Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. 

This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. 

Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Psalm 111:9 KJV

He sent redemption unto his people: He hath commanded his covenant for ever: Holy and reverend is his name.

His Name Is Jesus

Exodus 3:14 KJV

And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

John 8:56–58 KJV

Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad. 

Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? 

Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

Isaiah 9:6 KJV

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: And the government shall be upon his shoulder: And his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Acknowledge God’s Will

Matthew 6:10 KJV

Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

For The Future 

Thy kingdom come

“Thy kingdom come,” looks on to the second advent of Christ when the kingdom of God will be established in power over all this world.1

1 H. A. Ironside, Expository Notes on the Gospel of Matthew. (Neptune, NJ: Loizeaux Brothers, 1948), 64.

Revelation 20:4 KJV

And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

For Your Life

Thy will be done

Tim Hansel in his book “When I Relax I feel Guilty,” writes some insights of what most people want from God.

“I would like to buy $3.00 worth of God, please. Not enough to explode my soul or disturb my sleep, but just enough to equal a cup of warm milk or a snooze in the sunshine. I don’t want enough of Him to make me love a black man or pick beets with a migrant. I want ecstasy, not transformation; I want the warmth of the womb, not a new birth. I want a pound of the Eternal in a paper sack. I would like to buy $3.00 worth of God, please.”

If we would be totally honest, the idea of transformation really scares us. That is because we know that such a radical change would be quite uncomfortable. We realize that with transformation comes a major overhaul of our lives and priorities.

(From a sermon by Scott Chambers, The Mission if You Accept it: Transformation, 2/15/2011)

Just like His will is done in Heaven.

Nehemiah 9:6 KJV

Thou, even thou, art LORD alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.

Your Salvation

2 Peter 3:9 KJV

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

John 4:34–35 KJV

Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work. 

Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.

Your Sanctification

1 Thessalonians 4:3 KJV

For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:

Mark 3:35 KJV

For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.

Your Submission

Matthew 26:42 KJV

He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.

An old sailor repeatedly got lost at sea, so his friends gave him a compass and urged him to use it. The next time he went out in his boat, he followed their advice and took the compass with him. But as usual he became hopelessly confused and was unable to find land. Finally, he was once again rescued by his friends.

Disgusted and impatient with him, they asked, “Why didn’t you use that compass we gave you? You could have saved us a lot of trouble!”

The sailor responded: “I didn’t dare to! I wanted to go north, but as hard as I tried to make the needle aim in that direction, it just kept on pointing southeast.”

That old sailor was so certain he knew which way was north, that he stubbornly tried to force his own personal persuasion on his compass. As a result he was unable to benefit from the guidance it offered.

Let us make sure we do not treat God like that man treated the compass; trying to manipulate him to work our way!

Remember the Lord’s prayer is:

“Thy will be done” not “Thy will be done my way”

From a sermon by Gordon Curley, Beware of Detours! 11/18/2010

We have a lot to learn about prayer, this personal, intimate communication between the Father and His children. This morning we have discovered that we need to take the time to humbly worship God before laying out our requests. We start with our relationship, then acknowledge His Holy name. After that we put all our desires and pleas behind while we first submit to His perfect plan for the right now and the not yet. These are some things we learn when we follow our Savior’s advice to “Pray Like This”.

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 11:23 AM March 19, 2021.