Archive for March, 2021

For The Profit of Many

Friday, March 5th, 2021

Pastor Don Carpenter

When In Doubt / 1 Corinthians 10:23–33

Whatever we obtain from the Lord is granted on the condition of our employing it for the common good of the Church, and, therefore, the legitimate use of all our gifts is a kind and liberal communication of them with others. There cannot be a surer rule, nor a stronger exhortation to the observance of it, than when we are taught that all the endowments that we possess are divine deposits entrusted to us for the very purpose of being distributed for the good of our neighbor.

JOHN CALVIN

Elliot Ritzema, 300 Quotations for Preachers from the Reformation, Pastorum Series (Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2013).

In the past several weeks as we have studied Romans 14 we have discovered that in Christ we have freedom to make personal stands that differ from the stands others may make on extra-Biblical topics. As we finish our study “When In Doubt” I believe it is wise to look at 1 Corinthians 10 where Paul summarizes the principles we learned in Romans 14. In the end, all we have, our relationships, our knowledge, our freedoms are to be used to glorify God and God is glorified when we reach others. God is pleased when we use our freedom for the profit of many.

All Things Are Lawful

1 Corinthians 10:23 KJV

All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

Inanimate Objects Can Be Used For Good.

Romans 14:14 KJV

I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

There Is No Guilt By Association if You Avoid the Association.

1 Corinthians 10:25–27 KJV

Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, that eat, asking no question for conscience sake: 

For the earth is the Lord’s, and the fulness thereof. 

If any of them that believe not bid you to a feast, and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake.

• Some people try to dig up associations for a spiritual superiority

• Ties are phalic symbols

• Ties are like the pagan talisman

• Christmas trees are Pagan Yule logs

• Stop Anapestic beat (accent on 2&4) is from the jungle… they worship the devil in the jungle… therefore anything with that beat is demonic…

• Much of that is created to be a fake measurment by which to judge and feel superior to others.

• Don’t look for it… just enjoy it.

Not All Things Are Wise

1 Corinthians 10:23 KJV

All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

Some Things Will Control You

1 Corinthians 6:12 KJV

All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

Some Things Are Not Expedient

• Expedient = brings together

• Instead some things divide

1 Corinthians 10:28 KJV

But if any man say unto you, This is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that shewed it, and for conscience sake: for the earth is the Lord’s, and the fulness thereof:

Some Things Do Not Edify

1 Corinthians 14:12 KJV

Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

• Edify = build up

• Offend = cause to stumble.

Use Your Freedom In Christ To Reach People 

• Be Sensitive to Others

1 Corinthians 10:29–30 KJV

Conscience, I say, not thine own, but of the other: for why is my liberty judged of another man’s conscience? 

For if I by grace be a partaker, why am I evil spoken of for that for which I give thanks?

• Serve God Not Yourself

1 Corinthians 10:31 KJV

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

As You Serve God, Protect His People

1 Corinthians 10:32 KJV

Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:

Seek to Win Others, Not Shame Them

1 Corinthians 10:33 KJV

Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.

Proverbs 11:30 KJV

The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; And he that winneth souls is wise.

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 10:55 AM March 5, 2021.

Songs For Worship March 7

Thursday, March 4th, 2021

Prepare your family for Worship in church by singing these songs at Home:

Yes I Know!

There Is a Fountain Filled With Blood

O Sacred Head Now Wounded

My Jesus I Love Thee

Have Thine Own Way Lord

Sing With the Local Church

Thursday, March 4th, 2021

Pastor Don Carpenter

Sing! / Hebrews 10:24–25

A pastor went to visit a man who had been absent from church for some time. When the pastor arrived at the house of his wayward parishioner he found him sitting by a fire of glowing coals. The man fully expected his pastor to rebuke him for his tardy attendance at services. But instead the pastor drew up a chair alongside the fireplace where the man was sitting just peering into the fire.

W/ the tongs the pastor reached into the fire & took one of the red hot glowing coals and placed it by itself out on the hearth. W/I no time at all the coal began to lose its glow until in a few minutes it was black.

The man looked up into the face of his pastor who hadn’t said a word and he said “I’ll be there next Sunday.”

For the past six weeks we have been studying what the Bible has to say about singing. We have learned that we were created to sing. We then discovered that we were commanded in God’s Word to sing. As we continued to consider these truths, we saw that as we meditate on who God is and what He has done we cannot hold back, we are compelled to sing. We saw that our singing must not be phoned in, but must be done passionately with all our heart and mind. Last week we discovered some very practical ways we can sing as a family. We say that when we take church home through out the week, our families will be more at home in church. Today we will finish our series with the climax of this study. Our passage tells us that we must not forsake the assembling of the believers. We are told that one main purpose for that assembly is to encourage each other. Therefore we must sing with oour brothers and sisters in person. We must Sing with the Local Church! 

Hebrews 10:24–25 KJV

And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: 

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Sing Together

The Giant’s Causeway is a world heritage site minutes away from our front door in Northern Ireland. It is a geological marvel, consisting of forty thousand naturally occurring and mostly hexagonally shaped rocks, joined together at varying heights and rising up beside the wild Antrim coastline. Through many different weathers (most frequently rain) people come from all over the world to climb on the rocks and look out onto the waves. SING – Getty

->There is something church like about this sight.

1 Peter 2:4–5 KJV

To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious, 

Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

Like these multi-angled stones, even with our sharp points and rough edges we who are God’s people are being built together upon the solid Rock that is our Lord Jesus. The church is the only structure that will stand forever. Nothing—not even the very storms of hell—will prevail over it. Today, as you read, people from every nation, tribe, and tongue are coming to take refuge from the waves, just as we have done. SING – Getty

“The best most perfect way that we have of expressing a sweet concord of mind to each other is by music” – Jonathan Edwards

Sing As Living Stones

• Singing is an audible expresion of the bonds we share

• We are cut from the same elements of faith.

• We are filled by the same Spirit

• We are brought to the same church.

• We are being chiseled and refined through our singing just as we are through every aspect of our lifes.

• Music in church has been elevated in importance, but there is a danger of lowering the importance of singing TOGETHER.

• Consumer Christianity flies in the face of the Biblical purpose for our assembly in the first place. We replace robust congregational singing with entertainment that comes from the professionals on stage.

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

• Encourge others when you sing

• Be encouraged by the fact that others are singing with you and to you.

• Individual stories meet at the cross section of the worship service.

• We are reminded that we are not alone, but members of a multi-generational, multi-ethnic, multi everything family.

We are reminded that we are not the center of the universe, but just one voice and heart among the great worldwide throng of people praising the One who is. And we remind each other of all this as we sing together. SING – Getty

You Can’t Sing Together if You Go It Alone

Matthew 16:18 KJV

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

1 Corinthians 12:25–27 KJV

That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another. 

And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it. 

Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

• God never intended the Christian life to be a solo act.

• The misunderstanding of the Universal Church and the selfish individualistic consumerism of our society has led folks to move away from weekly assembly as a priority. COVIS has just added to the frey.

• The solo act is a result of seeing our faith as individualistic with no church involvement.

• It leads folks to leave church because they are getting nothing out of it… consumerism.

Think about the churches to whom Paul was writing in the decades after Christ’s ascension. Each was an eclectic collection of tastes, experiences, and backgrounds. They contained both the educated and the unschooled, those with plenty in their pockets and those struggling to make ends meet. They came from a variety of religious and cultural backgrounds, with many resulting tensions. They were susceptible to the vicious winds of false teaching and exposed to the waves of persecution that had begun to sweep through the Roman Empire. They had nothing in common, except that they had everything that mattered in common: faith in Christ, who joined them by His Spirit. And Paul told them that a sign of this would be seen in their congregational singing:

SING – Getty

Ephesians 5:18–20 KJV

And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; 

Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; 

Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

• Songs were the flagpoles saints could rally around.

So when you are called to sing at church, stop drinking your coffee for a moment, put your phone away, and look around and listen to the people standing about you. You are not an only child. This is your family. SING – Getty

When we see our singing together in this way, we will happily compromise when it comes to the style of the music, the instruments used in the music, and so on. SING – Getty

An old question: “Can I be a Christian without joining the church or attending worship?”

Answer: “Yes, it is possible. But it is something like being:

a. A student who will not go to school;

b. A soldier who will not join the army;

c. A citizen who does not pay taxes or vote;

d. A salesman with no customers;

e. An explorer with no base camp;

f. A seaman in a ship without a crew;

g. A businessman on a deserted island;

h. An author without readers;

i. A football player without a team;

j. A politician who is a hermit;

k. A scientist who does not share his findings;

l. A bee without a hive.”

Why should we go to church? The importance of assembling is both subjective and objective. It benefits the individual with spiritual stability and growth, and it benefits objectively by its positive effect on others. The church meeting is far more than a place for one to be entertained or to hear, for these can be accomplished through radio or television. The purpose for the assembling is for participation in worship and fellowship and with one another.

Singing Together Will Help Reclaim the Millenial Generation.

Most churches are painfully and personally aware of the significant drop-out of late teens and twenty-somethings from church, and often from Christian faith altogether. David Kinnaman, the president of the research company Barna Group, writes in his book You Lost Me: “The ages eighteen to twenty-nine are the black hole of church attendance.”

• Some erroniously suppose that in order to draw younger folks in we need a concert like atmosphere, but the opposite is true. Millenials are searching for the very elements God has created us to crave.

Creativity

Given that the standard of production and use of technology are extremely high in so much we digest outside of church services, it is often the most simple thing done well and sincerely in church that will make the most significant impression. A stunning melody with clear and moving lyrics, sung with gusto and authenticity by a congregation, is a more powerful statement than a song that’s difficult to play or is awkward for the congregation to sing. SING – Getty

Communication

Biblically rich content in songs, sung by people who look like they mean what they are saying, helps teach the gospel as something that is credible and powerful rather than cultural and optional.  SING – Getty

Community

We live in an increasingly fragmented age, where social media creates niches in which we can live without ever hearing from or thinking about the perspective of anyone older than us, younger than us, who is different than us, or disagrees with us. We are more connected than ever before, and lonelier than ever before. And our churches are often, sadly, not so different. We are whisked from the baby room to the toddler room, to children’s church and then on to student ministry, to a church full of college students, and so it goes. A church that sings together—across generations, standing side by side, putting community unity before personal preferences—is making a powerful and attractive statement to those who yearn for community more authentic than can be enjoyed online and friendship deeper than is found in counting your Facebook friends. SING – Getty

Singing Together Shapes Our Legacy

Antoni Gaudi, the great Spanish architect, laid the first stone of his Sagrada Família cathedral in Barcelona, Spain, in 1882. It is due to be completed by 2026, by which point construction will have taken 144 years. Gaudi died long ago without seeing its completion, and many others have added their expertise to his. But his cathedral will stand as an enduring legacy. He has left something beautiful behind. SING – Getty

• Our generation will leave our sings behind.

• We will leave the memories of Sunday worship.

• We will leave the momories of the music played at home.

• How we sing and what we sing together will shape the faith we pass on to the next generations.

A little girl with shining eyes,

Her little face aglow,

Said, “Daddy, it is almost time

For Church……let’s go!”

They teach us there of Jesus’ love, Of how he died for all

Those who on Him call.”

Oh, no!” said Daddy, “Not today. I’ve worked hard all week; I’m going to the creek,

for there I can relax and rest,

And fishing’s fine they say.

So, run along; don’t bother me. We’ll go to Church someday.”

Months and years have passed away

But Daddy hears that plea no more –

“Let’s go to Church.” Those childish days are o’re.

And now that Daddy’s growing old, when life is almost through,

He finds some time to go to Church –

But what does Daughter do?

She says: O Daddy, not today!

I stayed up almost all night;

I’ve just got to get some sleep. Besides, I look a fright.”

Then Daddy lifts a trembling hand

To brush away the tears,

As again he hears the pleading voice

Distinctly through the years.

He sees a small girl’s shining face upturned, with eyes all aglow,

As she says, “It’s time for Church……………. Please, Daddy, won’t you go?”

— Author Unknown

Something sacred happens every time we get together. Every time God’s people sing to themselves, each other, the angels and to God Himself… something happens! When we assemble we are not to be consumers, looking to be entertained, but servants, looking to meet a need. When the worship service begins, you are needed. Someone needs to hear you… you need to hear others. While I am thankful for the online options, this kind of dynamic worship that we were built for only takes place in the local church. God has created, commanded, and compelled us to be believers who sing. So sing with all your heart! Sing through out the week with your family. And prepare yourself for the highlight of the week to sing in Church!

The Lord Hears You

Tuesday, March 2nd, 2021

The Lord Hears You

Pastor Don Carpenter

2021 Bible Reading Challenge / Deuteronomy 1:34

Will Smith and Gene Hackman star in the 1998 movie, Enemy of the State. The concept is that whether you deserve it or not, the Government has immense capabilities to spy on every minute detail of your life. As unnerving as the film was, technology has only grown more sophisticated. Satellites, GPS, cameras, email, smart phones, Alexa, and Siri all can be hacked and monitored. Later there was a hit TV series, Person of Interest, that featured a fictional machine that could intercept all the metadata out there and flag dangerous behavior and situations. in 2013 Edward Snowden leaked classified information revealing our government’s unconstitutional monitoring of private citizens routine phone calls with no specific probable cause. The Government really is like the fictional “Big Brother” in George Orwell’s novel 1984. About a year and a half ago I was involved in a passionate political debate with a ride share customer and I quoted a statistic… all of a sudden my phone interrupts the conversation by saying “Actually the real numbers are…” Not only was my phone listening, it was actively involved in solving a political debate! We would do well to realize that in America there are very few places where we can have private communications any more.

As unnerving as that seems, there is an even more invasive listener than Uncle Sam. You see what ever we say in public, on Facebook, in private texts, even whispered in dark corners of the world, God hears! Let that sink in… there is no privacy setting, no mute, no encryption code that will stop this. Whatever you are saying, the Lord Hears You.

The Lord Hears You Murmuring and Complaining

Deuteronomy 1:27 KJV

And ye murmured in your tents, and said, Because the LORD hated us, he hath brought us forth out of the land of Egypt, to deliver us into the hand of the Amorites, to destroy us.

Deuteronomy 1:34–36 KJV

And the LORD heard the voice of your words, and was wroth, and sware, saying, 

Surely there shall not one of these men of this evil generation see that good land, which I sware to give unto your fathers, 

Save Caleb the son of Jephunneh; he shall see it, and to him will I give the land that he hath trodden upon, and to his children, because he hath wholly followed the LORD.

Exodus 16:9 KJV

And Moses spake unto Aaron, Say unto all the congregation of the children of Israel, Come near before the LORD: for he hath heard your murmurings.

Exodus 16:12 KJV

I have heard the murmurings of the children of Israel: speak unto them, saying, At even ye shall eat flesh, and in the morning ye shall be filled with bread; and ye shall know that I am the LORD your God.

The Lord Hears the Whispers of Bigotry

Numbers 12:1–2 KJV

And Miriam and Aaron spake against Moses because of the Ethiopian woman whom he had married: for he had married an Ethiopian woman. 

And they said, Hath the LORD indeed spoken only by Moses? hath he not spoken also by us? And the LORD heard it.

The Lord Also Hears When You Need Him

The Lord Hears Cries of Affliction

Hagar

Genesis 16:11–12 KJV

And the angel of the LORD said unto her, Behold, thou art with child, and shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because the LORD hath heard thy affliction. 

And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man’s hand against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren.

Leah

Genesis 29:31–35 KJV

And when the LORD saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb: but Rachel was barren. 

And Leah conceived, and bare a son, and she called his name Reuben: for she said, Surely the LORD hath looked upon my affliction; now therefore my husband will love me. 

And she conceived again, and bare a son; and said, Because the LORD hath heard that I was hated, he hath therefore given me this son also: and she called his name Simeon. 

And she conceived again, and bare a son; and said, Now this time will my husband be joined unto me, because I have born him three sons: therefore was his name called Levi. 

And she conceived again, and bare a son: and she said, Now will I praise the LORD: therefore she called his name Judah; and left bearing.

The People of Israel

Deuteronomy 26:7 KJV

And when we cried unto the LORD God of our fathers, the LORD heard our voice, and looked on our affliction, and our labour, and our oppression:

Exodus 3:7 KJV

And the LORD said, I have surely seen the affliction of my people which are in Egypt, and have heard their cry by reason of their taskmasters; for I know their sorrows;

His Children

Psalm 18:6 KJV

In my distress I called upon the LORD, And cried unto my God: He heard my voice out of his temple, And my cry came before him, even into his ears.

Psalm 120:1 KJV

In my distress I cried unto the LORD, And he heard me.

Psalm 3:4 KJV

I cried unto the LORD with my voice, And he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah.

Psalm 6:8–9 KJV

Depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity; For the LORD hath heard the voice of my weeping. 

The LORD hath heard my supplication; The LORD will receive my prayer.

Psalm 34:4 KJV

I sought the LORD, and he heard me, And delivered me from all my fears.

The Lord Hears Our Prayers

Psalm 116:1 KJV

I love the LORD, because he hath heard My voice and my supplications.

1 Peter 3:12 KJV

For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil.

The Lord Hears Prayers for Healing.

James 5:15–16 KJV

And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. 

Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

1 Kings 17:17–22 KJV

And it came to pass after these things, that the son of the woman, the mistress of the house, fell sick; and his sickness was so sore, that there was no breath left in him. 

And she said unto Elijah, What have I to do with thee, O thou man of God? art thou come unto me to call my sin to remembrance, and to slay my son? 

And he said unto her, Give me thy son. And he took him out of her bosom, and carried him up into a loft, where he abode, and laid him upon his own bed. 

And he cried unto the LORD, and said, O LORD my God, hast thou also brought evil upon the widow with whom I sojourn, by slaying her son? 

And he stretched himself upon the child three times, and cried unto the LORD, and said, O LORD my God, I pray thee, let this child’s soul come into him again. 

And the LORD heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came into him again, and he revived.

The Lord Hears The Humble

2 Chronicles 33:11–13 KJV

Wherefore the LORD brought upon them the captains of the host of the king of Assyria, which took Manasseh among the thorns, and bound him with fetters, and carried him to Babylon. 

And when he was in affliction, he besought the LORD his God, and humbled himself greatly before the God of his fathers, 

And prayed unto him: and he was intreated of him, and heard his supplication, and brought him again to Jerusalem into his kingdom. Then Manasseh knew that the LORD he was God.

Psalm 10:17 KJV

LORD, thou hast heard the desire of the humble: Thou wilt prepare their heart, thou wilt cause thine ear to hear:

Jonah 2:2 KJV

And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; Out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.

It is sobering to realize that someone may be on the other side of our smart TV listening and watching what we do as a family. It is maddening to realize that in spite of guaranteed 4th amendment protection from random search and seizure, Big Brother is constantly encroaching on our freedom. It should be more sobering to realize that every word you spoke against your brother or sister in private gossip was not private. It should be empowering that when you whisper a prayer of supplication, a cry for help in the shadows of life, or a statement of humble surrender…God is about to take action because the Lord is Listening!

Exported from Logos Bible Software, 5:32 PM March 2, 2021.